Fallout

Damon

Damon walked out of the room, jaw tense as he scanned the room for Elena. After five hundred years of running from Klaus, Grace should be able to see just how manipulative he is. He was bad for her. He was a monster.

Maybe it angered him so much because of how he felt about Stefan. There were times when he thought the exact same thing about himself, after all.

At that moment, another slow waltz sounded out from the band, encouraging partygoers across the room to start partnering up to dance. He sighed in frustration, attempting to back away. A familiar blonde blocked his path however, smiling falsely as the two of them came together to dance.

"Well, if it isn't the original barbie" Damon quipped in annoyance. "Where's your date?".
"Flirting with his ex" Rebekah sighed sourly, "where's yours?".
"Busy" Damon replied bluntly. She raised her brow questioningly at that, clearly wanting a further explanation. "She's having a cozy chat with your lying dagger-happy brother" he said resentfully, earning an understanding nod.

"Ah" she paused. "Funny, here I was thinking she wouldn't show up tonight".
"She didn't want to" Damon shrugged in agreement, watching the other dancers boredly, attempting to distract himself from his anger.
"I get that" Rebekah sighed. "Our family is a pretty big pain in the arse sometimes".
"Sometimes?" Damon scoffed.

"What's with that face?" The blonde questioned dryly. "My brother's not going to hurt her, you know... especially after what happened".
"What do you mean? What happened?" Damon turned back to her, his tone laced with impatient irritation.
"Oh, you don't know, do you?" She grinned. "Well, when all of us were ready to abandon our hybrid brother... your lovely little girlfriend hesitated". She squinted at him mockingly, a glint in her eyes as she watched his expression change. "What's the matter? angry because Grace cares about someone more than she does you?" Rebekah teased, before stepping away from him. "Pathetic".

Grace

"We should be getting back to the party" Elijah nodded after a while. "Besides, I'm sure you've heard that our Mother has requested an audience with Elena Gilbert".
"I have indeed" I shuddered. "Something tells me that it's not for a cozy doppelgänger catch-up too".
"I fear you're correct" he mumbled, before turning to head back inside.

I followed him, entering the main hall just as our Mother appeared on the landing to announce the toast. "The sooner we find Elena, the better" he continued. "We need to know if her intentions are as peaceful as she suggests".
"Agreed" I replied, scanning the crowd for the familiar head of brown hair. "There!" I grabbed Elijah by the sleeve, pulling him towards Elena.

"Elena!" I called out, catching the doppelgängers attention. Her eyes widened when she saw me, pushing through the crowd with urgency. She stopped suddenly as she came near, noticing Elijah stood next to me.
"So" I started breathlessly, how was our mother?".
"Intense" Elena replied, looking between us both.
"And for what reason did she need to speak with you in private?" Elijah asked, before taking three glasses of champagne off of a tray held by a waiter and passing two to the both of us.

I noticed Elena briefly glance to where Esther stood, opening and closing her mouth as she turned back to Elijah and I.
"Elena?" My brother whispered again. "Should we be concerned about our mother's intentions?".
"She just wanted to apologize for trying to have me killed" she replied simply, her eyes meeting mine momentarily.
"So it's true, then?" I asked curiously. "She's forgiven Klaus?".
Elena nodded at that, smiling softly. "It's true".

It was then that the soft ringing of metal on glass sounded out across the room, our Mother commanding the attention of the party.
"Good Evening, Ladies and Gentleman. Waiters are coming around with champagne. I invite you all to join me in raising a glass" she announced, looking out across the room. "It provides me with no greater joy then to see my family back together as one. I'd like to thank you all for being part of this spectacular evening. Cheers". With that she finished, holding her glass out towards us all, echoes of 'cheers' and clinking glasses sounding out across the room.

"Cheers" Elijah said with a smile, turning back to Elena and I. The three of our glasses met briefly, before we each drank together, a wave of relief washing over me. If our mother was able to forgive Klaus, then our family could start to mend itself, one step at a time.

Damon

Guests were finally filing out of the house, the party drawing to a close. Something caught his eye however, as he reached the upstairs balcony.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey!" He started, hearing Matt grunt out in pain as his bones snapped under the originals grip. "Easy on the hand, guy's a quarterback".
"Well if it isn't Gracie's lovely boyfriend" Kol said with a grin, dropping Matt to the ground. "Settling for mortals is pathetic enough..." he continued, nodding to the human. "But for her to actually have feelings for you, no" Kol shook his head. "I don't buy it".
"She said that?" Damon asked, his tone laced with irritation.

The original tilted his head in amusement, watching the younger vampires reaction.
"Haven't had that chat yet?".
"Not in a long while..." Damon said absentmindedly, his thoughts distracting him as Kol stepped towards him.
"Ah yes, the sexcapade in 1864, I've heard all about that" Kol mused.

"But then again..." the look on Kol's face darkened. "I think it's high time I put an end to this little tryst".

Grace

The party was coming to an end. Most of the guests had left, leaving Elena, Stefan and I in the hallway waiting for Damon. Elena seemed tense, and Stefan, he was same as always.
"What a surprisingly dull party" I sighed, finishing off the last of my champagne.

"You gonna get home okay, Elena?" I asked, turning to the doppelgänger.
"Yeah, it's fine" she smiled, "Stefan said he'd drop me home".
"As soon as your boyfriend hurries his ass up that is" Stefan said impatiently with a sigh.
"Hey, don't look at me" I shot my hands up in defence. "I haven't seen him since he stormed off earlier".
"Wait, did you guys fall out? what happened?" Elena asked concernedly.
"No, not a fallout" I shrugged dismissively. "Just a little difference of opinion, that's all".

It was then however that a loud thud sounded out behind us. I spun around to face it, seeing two figures crumple in a heap on the ground outside. I widened my eyes in shock, watching Damon and Kol fighting for a moment, the others also turning to face the commotion. That was, until a crunch sounded out, Kol's neck snapping, before his body hit the ground with a thud.

"Damon!" Stefan yelled, catching his attention as the rest of my family joined us at the doorway. "Are you crazy?".
"Maybe a little" he hummed in response, before turning to me. I blinked at him, shaking my head, half in anger, half in surprise.
"Now, Elena" I sighed. "Now it's a fallout".