A Good Sort

Nobody had eaten more than one slice of bread and a cup of tea. The dessert seemed to have gone to waste, for nobody could eat it, not even Doris, who loved pudding.

Isabel saw that Janet had somehow drunk her tea without any sugar in it. 'I say,' Isabel began saying to Pat but then kept quiet. 'What is it old thing?' Pat asked but Isabel laughed and said 'I seem to have forgotten. This beastly thing, it's not doing good to any of us.' she said quite honestly. Pat agreed with her. This is completely awful, she thought. How she hoped Carlotta would get better.

Janet was thinking the same thing, and she went to ask Miss Theobald if she could visit Carlotta. 'Sorry Janet' the head said. 'She's not well yet. They wouldn't let me visit her either, but they promised to ring the school when they feel that she would be ready for visitors. I know you all are very sad for your friend, but Carlotta is a brave girl. I assure you that she'll be back in no time' she said.

This had made Janet feel a bit better, because someone like Miss Theobald had a great impact on other people, and she had given Janet some confidence. With that Janet managed not to look too sullen and went back just in time for Miss Adams's class.

'Where had you gone?' Bobby asked her. But there was no time to reply, for Miss Adams walked in at that very moment and nobody dared to talk in her class. But during break Hilary asked her the same thing and she had to tell.

'I went to see Miss Theobald' she said. 'Whatever for?' asked Libby horrified. 'About Carlotta,' said Janet 'To know if she is getting better.' 'And is she?' Rachel asked. Janet told everyone what the head had said. 'Silly Fern!' Doris remarked.

Libby looked uncomfortable. 'I knew Fern was silly, but to think she'd be so spiteful! I know she's my cousin but...' Libby trailed off. 'Oh nonsense!' Said Pat. 'As if we can blame something she did on you, just because you're related.' said Hilary sensibly. 'You can't help being her cousin you know.' Libby felt better after that.

That day everyone couldn't help not concentrating in class, the mistresses also let it go unnoticed. But when Janet wouldn't answer Mam'zelle after being called for seven times, Mam'zelle had had enough. 'Oh Mon Dieu!' she said. 'This is too out of ze line. I cannot have my girls forever lost in their thoughts, ah you bad English girls. Ah Janet, you shall write 'I must pay attention in class' twenty times, d'accord? Hand it to me before prep.' she said.

Janet groaned. But it was only twenty lines. Mam'zelle was a good sort, she thought. 'But you're not!' said a voice inside her head. 'Shut up!' she said quite loudly. Fortunately Mam'zelle hadn't heard her, but Bobby who sat beside her, had.

'I should say, Janet' Bobby said after class. 'You look rather worked up. Do you have a headache?' But Janet hadn't one. She said so and walked off to games. Bobby shook her head. Whatever was going on with Janet?