Lollipops - Chapter 30

Start from the beginning

Naomi lingered her gaze on the blonde girl before turning back to the professor as well. She'd like to say that she wasn't bothered by the stare she was receiving from Marlene, but that would just be a lie.

In the meantime, Naomi reached down in her school bag that was hung on her chair to retrieve a lollipop. She was feeling quite lightheaded, and she knew that her Blighting's Bite-infested lollipop would help.

Of course, all the sixth years had long since gotten used to Naomi sucking on lollipops in the middle of class, so no one thought anything of it. But, again, Naomi felt a burn in the back of her head, and turned around. As she expected, she was greeted by the sight of Marlene staring at her.

This time, Marlene was bluntly narrowing her eyes at Naomi, looking as though she were trying to calculate something—figure something out. When Marlene noticed that Naomi caught her gaze, she curiously gestured to the lollipop in Naomi's hand. She was wondering why Naomi had a lollipop with her in the first place.

Naomi exhaled, pretending that she didn't quite catch Marlene's silent question, even though she did. It wasn't like she could tell her, anyway.

She knew that something was up with Marlene, but she didn't exactly know what. Naomi felt unnerved.

Knowing that she couldn't do very much at the moment, Naomi slightly shook her head to put her thoughts in order, before she tuned back into the lesson. Though, the feeling of Marlene's gaze on her head remained with her for the rest of the class.

When the lesson finally ended, Naomi gladly exited the classroom before anyone else, eager to get away from any commotion that was to follow. Lily came with her.

"Hey, do you want to study in the library after all the classes are over?" Lily asked Naomi.

Naomi turned around to face the girl. A light grin fell on her face. "Yes, okay."

Lily nodded. "What class do you have next?"

Naomi frowned thoughtfully. "Um, Potions,"

"Oh, bugger, I have Charms. That reminds me, I need to compare my Potions essay with Remus. See you later, Nomi!"

"Never call me that again!" Naomi called after Lily, though a huge smile was on her face.

"Will do!" Lily shouted back.

Naomi giggled aloud, before she turned on her heel and began to walk to the Hospital Wing. She found herself to be in need of an extra stash of Blighting's Bite.

As she walked through the corridor, she heard a second pair of footsteps far behind her. Naomi turned around, mightily displeased to find Marlene behind her. Marlene was rushing to catch up with Naomi.

Naomi curiously stopped walking, so as to let Marlene catch up with her. The former offered a polite, quipped nod.

"Where are you going?" Marlene asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

Quite frankly, Naomi was surprised that Marlene skipped any sort of pleasantries and greetings, but she answered her nonetheless.

"I'm off to Potions class," Naomi explained, lying to her fellow classmate.

"Potions class is the opposite way, though." Marlene said. A wide, foul smile was on her face. It was like she was glad that she'd caught Naomi in the act.

Naomi froze for a split second. She scrambled to find a response. "Thank you for directing me," and finding her sense of courage, she gritted her teeth and asked: "Though, may I ask; why were you following me in the first place?"

Marlene's stance didn't falter for even a split second. A cocky, evil smirk was dancing across her lips. "No, you may not."

With that, Marlene turned around and sashayed away, a sassy sway to her lips. Naomi was incredulous. She was no fool; Marlene quite clearly had a problem with her. But, what she wanted to know was, what for? Marlene had some nerve. Although Naomi was a relatively calm person, Marlene had something coming for her if she assumed that she could walk all over the girl. Something huge.

–————

I didn't lie when I said I was going to update within fifteen days! I didn't really edit this chapter as thoroughly as I usually do, so please point out any mistakes that you noticed throughout this chapter.

Someone tell me why it's snowing so hard in the middle of April. Only Canada. I'm not really complaining though, because I get to miss school!

So like, what's up with Marlene though? We'll see within the next chapter or so!

Q: Lipstick or lipgloss? (Lol so random tho)
A: Lipgloss!

Oh deer, I gained 4K reads in half a month. I love you guys soooo much! Thank you for your supportive comments and the votes!

Love,
  Manny