Lollipops - Chapter 28

Sirius had been true to his word when he told Naomi that he'd see her again on the Astronomy Tower. He wanted to learn more about this so-called cancer.

His arms rested on the railing as he stared up at the deep night sky, his black locks being swept back by the wind. The air wasn't too cold. They were at the peak of springtime, and alongside that came Naomi's 17th birthday. Her birthday was on the seventeenth day of March. She was thinking about buying herself a house soon, because she'd be of age by that time, and she couldn't stand living in the presence of her father.

When Naomi arrived at the Astronomy Tower, Sirius swivelled around almost instantly, having heard her footsteps. He breathed, "There you are."

Naomi nodded while smiling. She came to join Sirius' side, in front of the railing. For some reason, Sirius was staring at her expectantly. She didn't know why, so she asked him, "Why are you staring at me?"

He shook his head, as if to snap himself out of a daze.

"Why don't you tell me more about cancer,"

She raised her eyebrows in surprise at the sudden choice of topic. "Why, hello to you too."

Sirius laughed his bark-like laughter at her sarcasm. "Well, I'm pretty curious. Can you even blame all this?"

He jokingly posed with his hands on his hips and his hip quirked out. Naomi widened her eyes and laughed aloud. But otherwise, she willingly divulged into the topic of her cancer, because she knew that she hadn't told Sirius much about it yet.

"Well, the symptoms first began to show when I was eight years old..."

—–———

After quite a long conversation, Naomi changed the topic. To be honest, she didn't feel comfortable talking with Sirius about her cancer, only because she felt guilty lying to him about it. After all, she still had him thinking that cancer was, in no way, life-threatening.

"So, my birthday is coming up." Naomi grinned, changing the sullen topic.

"Really? That's great!" Sirius smiled. "What do you suppose your parents will get you, then?"

Naomi smile faltered. She never really got around to telling Sirius about her background life. Sure, her and Sirius shared a lot with one another, but she always made sure to carefully leave her parents out of everything she said. Now that she thought about it, she knew way more about Sirius' background life than he knew about her's. At the moment, she wished for that to change.

"Well," she slowly began, "my mom passed away a few years ago,"

Sirius' expression dropped like a roller coaster.

"Oh, Merlin's beard! I'm sorry for your loss! I never knew that—sorry for mentioning it." Sirius fumbled with his words. He was very shocked at the discovery.

"It's completely alright, you didn't know," Naomi answered honestly, looking deep into his eyes.

"How did it happen, if you don't mind me asking?" Sirius curiously asked.

"A car wreck. It happened when I was really young. I wasn't there when it happened, though." Naomi said softly.

"I'm really sorry to hear that, Naomi. You should've said something,"

Naomi said nothing. She was so caught up staring into his grey eyes. Those beautiful, swirling grey orbs, like a tornado. Naomi could stare into those eyes forever...

"What about your father?" Sirius' deep voice broke Naomi out of her... was it a daydream? About Sirius? Why on earth was she fantasizing about Sirius' eyes?