The anger in Harvey's eyes receded as she spoke, only to be replaced with an emotion that Jay could only describe as loss. "I didn't... I mean... I just wanted to help you." Harvey spoke softly, and slowly backed away from her assault. He turned away before he spoke again, plaintive now. "I just want to help you, unlike my brother."

Jay groaned, her hands curling into fists. Harvey wasn't about to own up to his jealousy; instead he insisted on blaming everything on Edmund. "What is your problem with Edmund, Harvey? You keep saying he's this horrible person but I'm just not seeing it."

She heard the smile in his voice even though he hadn't turned around. "Of course you don't see it, Jay. That's the whole point. My brother lets people see exactly what they want to see in order to get what he wants. He's a consummate liar. Very few have seen what he truly is."

Jay didn't believe it. It sounded like yet another excuse for why the two brothers didn't like each other, but for now she decided to play along. "And what is it that he wants?"

Harvey didn't answer. He turned back to look at her and his gray eyes bore into hers, looking at her as if she was slowly fading away. His expression was all loneliness and heartache; not the jealousy she expected to see. She didn't understand it.

She waved a hand in front of him, trying to get his attention. "Harvey? You didn't answer my question?"

Harvey blinked and the look was gone. "I don't know what he wants. I only know it won't be anything you'll want to give." He rubbed his chin and glanced back at the bottle on the counter.

Jay stepped forward and placed one hand on his shoulder. He shivered slightly at her touch and almost pulled away. Jay had no idea how to be the adult here, but she somehow knew this situation called for it. "If you don't know for sure what Edmund's devious ends are, how can you be so sure that they're devious at all?"

Harvey groaned and stepped away from her, putting the counter between the two of them, as if he was afraid he might hurt her. Or that she might hurt him. "You don't get it, Jay! You may fancy yourself in love with my brother, but I know him far better than you. I've seen what he's capable of. I know his mind, how he works. I know when he's up to something and he's been up to something ever since he found out about you."

Jay stamped her foot as the rage flowed through her body. Edmund liked her. It couldn't be some evil plot. She'd seen the way he looked at her, heard the things he had said. He couldn't be that good of a liar. Could he? Pushing any encroaching doubt from her mind, she placed her hands on her hips and stared at Harvey. "You're just jealous! Because seeing Edmund means I won't be able to devote all my time to you and your training of whatever. You're jealous, Harvey. Admit it."

Harvey sighed but didn't look at her. "Perhaps I am, Jay, but that doesn't change anything. It doesn't change the fact that you still have a lot to learn, about yourself and about my dear brother. Perhaps you're not as ready as I thought you were." He glanced up briefly, his hair partially obscuring his face. "I'm going to bed. I hope you had a lovely evening." Harvey was gone and Jay heard his bedroom door slam behind him before she had time to formulate a comeback.

"I hope you had a lovely evening," Jay yelled at closed door. She crossed her arms, hugging herself as she crossed the kitchen, her body tense with rage. She'd show him who had a lot to learn. She could have Edmund and learn to be a mara too. It was all going to work out and she didn't need Harvey to do it. Despite what he said, she knew she was ready to be a mara. It was part of her, she didn't need Harvey to explain everything to her. She could do this on her own. She didn't need his help. She could do this. Right? A creeping sense of doubt flooded through her and she hugged herself tighter.