________________

The two of us finally made it into the party. The room main hallway was bustling with familiar faces, council members and townsfolk. I could hear mothers words in my head, about her desire for peace. I wanted to believe it. But, centuries on the run will make you question everything.

It was then that Kol emerged from the crowd, drink in hand as the first dance finished up.
"Brother" I smiled, taking Damon's arm in my own instinctively. It felt right. Comfortable. Safe.
"Grace" he tutted, "About time you showed up".
"We're not that late" I grumbled.

Kol turned to Damon, his gaze sharp and scrutinising.
"Kol, this is Damon Salvatore" I tensed up slightly, noticing the hard glares they were giving eachother. "Damon, this is my brother, Kol".
"Have we met?" Damon asked curiously, eyebrow raising slightly.
"I've met a lot of people" Kol hummed, "And you don't particularly stand out".

Damon squinted at him then, Kol smiling smugly back at him.
"Although I do hear that you're sweet on my twin" he added.

A moment passed, as he comprehended what he just heard.
"Wait - woah, back up... Grace is your twin?" Damon responded in pure bewilderment as he looked between us.
His eyes met mine as I simply shrugged innocently, "he could have meant Elijah" I teased, "you two would make an adorable couple".

Kol snorted at that, whilst Damon simply rolled his eyes.
"You have a twin?" He asked, gesturing to Kol, "This guy?" he glared between us once more, brows furrowing together in confusion.

"Did she... forget to mention? Strange" Kol smirked, taking another sip of his drink. "Although Grace always did like to be so secretive... I remember on our thirteenth birthday when she-"
"I'm right here" I muttered bitterly, cutting him off.

"Anyways, I'm surprised to see you on such good behaviour" I squinted at him.
"Yes, well" Kol chuckled. "After Mother's golden girl turns up an hour late with a side piece on her arm, I begin to look pretty good".
"He's not a side piece" I hissed, shoving him slightly.
"Right" he shook his head in amusement. "Doesn't make Mother any less annoyed at you for missing the big opening speech, but I digress...".

"I'm going to get us some drinks" Damon said, backing off with a nod.
"That one? Really, sister?" Kol asked, squinting at Damon disapprovingly as he walked away, "you really are a lot more like Rebekah than you pretend". I punched him on the arm at that.
"Shut up, Kol".
"I was only teasing, Gracie, come on" he joked, rubbing his arm as he did so.

I tried to prevent a grin from spreading across my face to no avail. His stupid nickname always made me smile and he knew it.

"You're a nightmare" I laughed, shaking my head.
"We're twins, that means you're one too" he sneered back at me, causing me to roll my eyes and groan. "Speaking of nightmares..." Kol continued, "any ideas what our dear Mother is up to?".
"I wish I did" I sighed. "Although all her rules are doing my head in as it is".
"My thoughts exactly" Kol grinned.
"Uh oh" I squinted at him curiously. "What's that face for? What are you up to?".
"What face?" Kol shrugged, still smirking as he did so. "I've missed us, Gracie, we're like... good cop, bad cop? Is that the right one?". He punched me on the arm lightly, before his gaze landed on somebody through the crowd.

"Damon Salvatore" he tutted. "Rebekah with that mortal, you with him... it is rather humorous, pathetic even".
"Kol" I said warningly with a glare.
"Wait... Don't tell me you actually have feelings for him" he snorted.
"Yes, I have feelings for him" I sighed, turning to him challengingly. "I know sociopaths like you struggle with that concept, but if you do anything, I swear-".
"And here comes the boy toy himself with the drinks" Kol hummed, just as Damon re-emerged from the crowd.
"Stop being an arse" I hissed, stomping on his foot.