C H A O S

~ Chapter Seventeen ~

Chris made his way up the staircase.

In some places the wood had begun to rot, leaving untrustworthy patches of murky material — some holes going straight through told of people less aquainted with the scrappy complex that had made the mistake of not keeping track of where they step. He didn't make the same mistake. After all he'd lived there his whole life.

He hopped from foot to foot, quickly yet quietly shooting up the five levels while constantly hearing for the front door to slam open. It didn't and as he stood in front of the door painted patchy blue — his door — he couldn't help but feel victorious. He'd gotten away. Once again he'd managed to escape death.

But for how long?

He had to pack. Maybe he didn't even have time for that. If his brother's mate had died in that alley — which he was certain she had, a scrawny human like that — then he'd soon be targeted, no doubt.

His brother forgave him for a lot of things but this... this would push him too far.

Yes, he would have to run.

Fast.

Chris swung the door open, something easily done when the lock was busted, and stepped into the burrow he called home. It wasn't pretty, nor a lot, but it had everything he needed.

And something he definitely didn't.

"Hello there, Chris."

The human girl was spread out on the couch in front of him, holding his gaze with narrowed eyes and an expression telling she wouldn't hesitate using the gun this time around. Her face was red, her clothes disheveled, but Chris was smarter than to try and run.

Especially as the door fell back against the frame behind him.

"Let's think about this, alright," he offered with a close eye on her grip on the gun. "You don't want to do something you'll regret."

"Fuck off, and don't get closer." She aimed the gun to his right knee. "Or I take you out."

"You're insane!"

"Yeah? Well rather insane than dead. Besides, I've learnt a thing or two about you wolves and if the internet's right then you won't die from this shot. But it'll hurt like hell."

A growl rose in his throat.

Liz had heard a lot worse from Red and without hesitation put her index finger on the trigger.

Chris quickly shrunk back. "Alright, alright! What do you want? An apology? Money?"

"No." She tried to hide her trembling hand as she lowered the gun. "My mate, your brother, is out there somewhere, taken by someone."

"It could be anyone."

"But it isn't, is it? You know them. You've lived here your whole life. You can take me to them."

Despite the gun, Chris scoffed. "You're expecting me to get killed helping you find wolves to get yourself killed as well? I'd rather take my chances with the gun."

She shot from the couch, worked up at his words, and pointed out the small window overlooking the neighboring roof which she'd clearly broken through to get in. "I found you easily," she growled. "I'm human. Those men that followed us, that took Red, are werewolves. It took me ten minutes to get the jump on you. You do the math."

Chris didn't respond but judging by the way his Adam's apple bobbled Liz could tell he was alarmed.

Her voice lowered. "I'm thinking these guys have a bone to pick with you since before."