16

Word Count: 1650

The smell of weed was hard to ignore in Caleb's living room, Finn was sat on one of the sofas with Noah, Gaten on the one adjacent. Noah and Gaten were focused on the video game on the TV in front of them whilst Finn stared into space.

Getting high with Caleb had become very frequent these past few weeks and tonight was no exception, his parents were out again and Caleb had invited people over, Finn assumed it was to fill the void due to how upset he'd been over being home alone so often.

Caleb was over his parents leaving him alone, the only thing he had to fill the role of a parent was money. He was off in another room with Sadie, who was likely trying to comfort him and calm him down in his current state of mind.

The game on the screen hadn't stopped all night, not even when Millie walked in and said a quiet hello to the three of them before sitting alone on the armchair. The small girl was wearing a pair of plain black tights with a light pink hoodie. She'd spent the day curled up on the couch watching reruns of How I Met Your Mother with her mom, she would be lying if she said she hadn't enjoyed it.

Millie wanted to completely forget about what happened with Finn yesterday, she was going to be kind to him if he spoke to her. Her nose crinkled at the overwhelming smell in the room and Gaten laughed when he took notice, causing the two others boys to look at the girl who had a disgusted look on her face. It wasn't that she hated the smell, it was just that it was so strong.

Noah and Gaten's focus had returned to the game on the screen, whilst Finn remained eyeing the girl on the couch across the room who was watching the TV intently. She shook her head before standing, "okay I'm bored he's gotta have a game I understand," she groaned as she crouched down in front of the TV cabinet, pulling a drawer filled with games out.

Her slim fingers sorted through the various cases as Gaten and Noah protested, Finn still silent. "Mario Kart? Millie, are you joking?" Noah scoffed as he threw his arms in the air, Gaten nodding in agreement.

"Hey, it's fun!" She argued in response, already ejecting the game they were in the middle of and receiving a few shouts as a result, "shut up so we can all join in." Millie reasoned nonchalantly as she grabbed a remote and returned to her seat.

"Finn, do you want to play this stupid game?" Gaten turned to face him, finally giving in. Finn didn't respond and just kept looking at Gaten, "Finn? Did you want to join?" He repeated slower, a bit annoyed.

It was only now that Millie noticed how red Finn's eyes were as he shook his head before standing and grabbing a small box off the table, trudging into the kitchen and out of sight.

"What's his problem?" Noah's voice was filled with concern as he turned to Millie.

She shrugged, trying to disguise her concern, "ready to play?" She plastered a fake smile on her bare face. The two boys just stared at the girl with raised eyebrows, "what?" She responds impatiently, eyes peeling away from the illuminated TV screen.

There's a brief silence where Noah and Gaten exchange a few looks, leading to Noah coughing quietly, "go talk to him, please. He's been like this all night and refuses to talk to us." It comes out as a demand and Millie groans before standing, knowing that there's no way they're going to drop it.

She just wanted to play damn Mario Kart, and now she was leaving the lounge room in search of a grumpy and confusing boy who was as high as a kite. She walked towards the kitchen and peered through the doorway to see Caleb sitting on the kitchen island, Sadie standing in front of him with his tear stained face in her hands. Her heels turned and she headed down a long hallway, about to walk up the stone staircase when she saw a body sitting by the pool, back slouched and feet dangling in the water.