chapter eight

We spent the night over at the hospital and Ella was finally discharged the next day, we took the morning bus together I had offered to skip school to see her off

We sat at the last row silently, her gaze was fixed at the window and mine silently wondering why no one had come to see her - didn't they hear the news? Didn't anyone from the school attempt to call home? I couldn't stop myself from wondering but I couldn't ask Ella, I didn't want to pry, if she was going to let me in then I needed her to do it at her own pace...

The white bandage was still wrapped around her wrist and I watched as she nervously held it, I wanted to call out to her but was held back by the sudden stop of the bus.

“We're here” Ella smiled and led me down the bus and suddenly standing in front of the building, staring at it in shock answered a million questions I had in mind.

“I'm sorry... I never knew” were the only words that rushed out of my lips, it didn't feel right, I had no right to feel pity for her or at least I felt like I didn't.

“It's not so bad” she stretched out her hand to me and I held it, walking into the simple brown colour building made so many emotions run deep, I had never been to an orphanage and I never knew it, that she had no one... Not once did it come to my mind and now knowing the truth made so many things clear.

“Ella!”  A little nice voice called out to her and then an even smaller girl ran into Ella's arms hugging her so tightly. “Where have you been, sister's been worried” her innocent blue eyes stared at Ella, probably expecting an explanation, her long blonde hair making her look even cuter?

“I was at a friend's house” Ella lied. It was then that the little girl realized my presence, she couldn't be more than eight years old.

“Hello” she smiled brightly at me, her eyes gleaming like a beautiful crystal, it was sad how cruel life was to deprive such a charming girl of a family, of a home to call her own. I had really closed my eyes to the world unaware of the real things worth living for.

“Hello!” I smiled brightly at her, waving my hands playful.

“I'm Theodore” she placed her hand on her chest briefly “And you are?”

“Paige” I answered. “I'm a new friend of Ella”

“I can tell” a different voice spoke from the corner and revealed himself from the shadows, he was about Ella's age, but he looked a bit taller and smarter with his short black hair, and green nerdy eyes.

“Ella never really has many friends” he completed.

“Shut up mark” Theodore snapped at him, she seemed so defensive of Ella but Ella didn't mind she looked already used to mark's teasing.