Chapter 4

Cassie's pov
Last night was one of the best nights of sleep I've had in a very long time, despite the fact that i only slept for about four hours. It seems it doesn't matter how little sleep I get the night before I'm still gonna wake up at 5 am Oregon time. Luckily for me that means it was 8 am in North Carolina and a pretty decent time for hem to get up here. That was actually the time they had breakfast.

"Good morning ladies! I hope you slept well!" Cassandra said.

"We most certainly did. Again thank you for your hospitality." My mother says, always having been one for extreme manners. I can gladly say I inherited most of that trait.

"Wonderful! And it's no problem. I hope you wouldn't mind joining us in the dining room? My husband, son, and father in law have returned from the business they had to complete and we're having a big family breakfast."

"That sounds wonderful. May I ask who all will be in attendance?" My mother asks, probably trying to figure out if we should go change out of our pajamas.

"Most of my family, including my oldest son, and the beta and gamma. My oldest son no longer lives with us. Actually he's just returned from college. He has a house just down the way."

"I thought you said your son was the alpha?" I ask, butting in for the first time.

"Yes, my second oldest son, Axe. He took over because my oldest son said he didn't want it. He's never been a big fan of power." She says with a small smile. I'll be honest, hearing my mates name caused a shiver to run down my spine that I had to suppress.

"That makes sense. Will we get to meet him? We have a few things to discuss." My mother informs her.

"Yes, but for now, please join us for breakfast." She says and leads us to the dining room from last night. In it, there are three people, two boys and a girl, all sat in a row."These are three of my children. My oldest, Ryan, my only girl, Emily, and my youngest, Easton."

She sits down in the seat to the right of the head of the table, leaving the head of the table and the seat to her right open. The two seats across from her are also open, as well as the head of table on the opposite side and the seat the the left of it. Cassandra's sons are on one side and her daughter is on the other side, the side opposite of Cassandra. The Beta and Gamma are on the same side as Emily leaving the only seat open beside Ryan at that end. My mother walks to the head of the table on that end and I walk to the seat next to her and stand behind it. My training has lead me to never sit until the superiors have been seated.

We soon hear footsteps, not that that's hard they're essentially stomping into the room. The first of the stompers to appear is an older looking man that Cassandra rose for and when his eyes looked into hers, they started to shine with love. One can only assume that's her mate, Caspian. He's not worst looking creature and in fact, he's quite handsome, but I'll have to say that Axe looks way better.

Speak of the devil, here he comes, judging by the smell of rain on the hot pavement. An odd smell, but all of my best memories have happened as it's begun to rain. He walks in wearing a pair of sweatpants and a white v-neck. It shows off the muscles he has and I have to do my best to not stare. We only met hours ago and the mate bound is already killing me. He smiles and nods to his family and nods to my mother and I before standing behind his seat. His seat is across from his fathers, who's is to the right of his mothers. While I was admiring my mate as subtly as I could, the last of their party enters. It look over to him in respect and can't help but react.

"Grandpa Whiskey?" I whisper in shock. He looks at me confusedly for moment before recognition alights on his face.

'D.P.!!"  He responds and opens his arms for a hug that I can't help but run into to. He's the only person I've ever been childish around. My mother walks up to us calmly, poised as ever. "How are you two? How long has it been since the last time I saw y'all?"

"We're good and it's been a little less than 10 years." My mother responds as he wraps an arm around her, never letting me out of his embrace.

"That would explain why I almost didn't recognize my little beauty right here. My gosh how you've grown. You're almost prettier than your mother." He says kissing me on the forehead. "Well, what brings y'all here?"

"Whiskey, why don't we let them eat first?" Cassandra buts in.

"Of course." He says motioning for me to take the seat in between him and Axe, and of course I took it. Mom returns to her initial seat at the opposite head of the table and the food is served.

~

After a hearty breakfast, all the officials and my mother and I went to the office and started discussing everything. She told the story of how she was rejected and left pregnant and we had a discussion about how this was going to work. We also argued a bit about how my mother and I would go alone on the first day and the boys could join us on the second day and any subsequent day but we eventually came to an agreement. In other words, mom said we would go alone, we argued for ten minutes, and then mom and Axe came to an agreement that the boys would drop us off at the meeting sight and then return, butt we were to go straight there and straight back. The rest of the day was spent conversing and catching up and everyone forgot to ask us how we knew Grandpa Whiskey so I suspect that, upon our return, that will come into question. I also stayed up late talking to Axe and getting to know him more. It was a good day.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you so much for reading! If you see any errors let me know and...

HAVE A NICE DAY!