Chapter 19: The Written Test & A Shocking Flashback

I held the mummy down on the ground as I continued to glare and bare my teeth at him like some animal ready to kill their prey. But what he told me... About the Fire Flower. I've heard about that name before... But where? It sounds so familiar. I can't put my finger on it. How does he know who I am? 

"Knock it off! Who told you to fight!? Do you want to fail before we've even begun!" A man from the front of the room shouted at me. He had a bandana around his head and a scar that was diagonally down to his lip.

I released the mummy and glared at him as I said, "He started it. Tch, he's a waste of my time."

The proctor, Ibiki Morino, told us that we weren't allowed to fight each other during this exam. If we did, we will fail and be kicked out of the room or something like that. 

He explained the first part of the exam as we were seated in different spots of the room. Teams were not allowed to sit near each other because they thought we would be cheating.

The other proctors that were on the left side of us were there to make sure that weren't caught cheating. And if we did get caught 5 times, we will be kicked out and fail the exams and try again next year. They have sharp eyes and will detect any signs of cheating. 

"This is going to be harder than I thought." Yuuki whispers to me.

"Agreed." I whisper back. 

We have 1 hour to complete this written test and if one of us on the team gets a zero, then the entire team fails. I know for a fact that pinky will be fine, so will Sasuke, but for Naruto-san and I, I don't think we stand a chance. Besides, I didn't see this coming or anything. I didn't even study. Only one way to pass this thing is to cheat. From all the stares going around, it looks like they want us to cheat and not get caught. That looks like the game plan. They're testing our abilities.

As the test begins, everyone goes to writing down on their paper. I stare down at the sheet of paper and review each question. 

It's funny. 

Each question is harder than the previous one. They really do want you to cheat on these exams. I should have guessed. 

"Yuuki." I call out to him as he is purring on my lap. He yawns and stretches himself before looking up at him. "I know what's going on and I need your help."

"Oh? So what is it?" He questions.

"I want you to look at everyone else's paper and give me the answers."

"But, you're not suppose to cheat. That's what that guy said, right?"

"I know. But it seems like they want us to cheat and not get caught at the same time. They are testing us to see what we are capable of. That's where you come in." He looks at me funny. "I need you to go around and find the answers for me. You're a cat, so this will be easy for you. Just try not to get caught."

"Alright. I'll be back in a sec." Yuuki jumps off my lap and quietly walks around the room, getting me answers, without getting caught. 

Yuuki returns and places himself on my lap. He looks down at the paper and begins to tell me the answers as he whispers, 

"Alright, the answer to number 1 and 2 is. . ." He tells me the answer and I begin to write it down.

"Good job, Yuuki. Onto the next one." I pet his head. 

This is going to be easy. Everyone seems to get the hang of it and starts to each off of others. Shino is using his bug, Kiba using Akamaru as a translator, the mummy using the sound and rhythm of the stroke of the pencil, The girl with sided buns on her head using her wires to move the mirror from above to pass it on to her fellow teammates, and Sasuke using his sharingan to imitate the movements of the person in front of him. 

Everyone is finding their own way to cheat.

"The 10th question is weird. I can't see anybody else answering it either." Yuuki informs me.

"Of course. The tenth question has to be asked by the proctor." I reply back. "You've given me all the answers, so you can rest for now. All I have to do is wait for the tenth question when time is almost up... By the way, how long are you going to be in your cat form?"

"You've already asked me this." Yuuki groans and plops his head on my chest.

"I know and I'm curious how long you can stay that way. It leaves me wondering if you're one of those lost creatures I've heard about."

"No. I just choose not to change back. I will return back to my original form when I feel like it, and when they're aren't many people around. But, I don't care if I change back now. It wouldn't matter to me if people saw me."

"I would say that would be risky to let yourself get caught but I would be lying. Do what you want, Yuuki." I lightly smile at him and suddenly my eyes widen. 

I see blood. A battle going on. 

Yelling. 

Screaming. 

Crying. 

What am I seeing...?

"You can't have her! Don't worry, Mokou! I will protect you!" Father? More blood is sheds and I see myself screaming.

I see that same Phoenix that I released before. Why am I seeing this? Is this my memory?

"This way! Mokou!" Mother? "Whatever you do and whatever you hear, stay hidden. Do you understand me, Mokou?" This is...sickening. 

Blood. 

Tears. 

Screaming. 

Crying.

Swords clashing together. 

Fire. 

Red eyes.

Father... Father... Father "Mokou-san!" Yuuki snaps me out of my thoughts as his kitty paws are on my breast. "You're crying." He says and I put a finger to my eye. I pull away to see a tear on my finger and I touch my cheek to notice that I've been crying for a while. "Are you okay, Mokou-san?"

"I... I'm not sure."