Chapter 22

(Y/n)'s POV

~Back at school~

I had texted Michiko to give me a few more days to which she surprisingly agreed. As to why she did...well, I have no idea. It was probably because she had other secret affairs, like the one she had with Hajime sensei.

Len had told me he still needed more time to organise all the notes and evidence before handing it to the police. I was glad that Haku-nii would finally be freed from her.

"(Y/n), what are you thinking about? I've been calling you for a while," exclaimed Keii.
"Oh, sorry. I guess I just zoned out."
"Tsukimori said that he needed to talk to Hino about something."
"Huh? Oh..."
"Want to go practise for the concours?"
"Yeah, sure."

Ugh, damn it...I completely forgot about the concours. What was I supposed to do now? I didn't even know which piece to play so how was I gonna practise? What about my accompaniment? Who should I ask?

*sigh* Too much has been happening. The concours only seemed like a small part of everything that's been happening. I mean, sure I did love music but Len and Haku-nii were more important.

Maybe I can actually understand what Haku-nii has been talking about...maybe I can understand why he would give up his dreams to help me. I would do the same for him.

"(Y/n), have you chose a piece yet?" Keii asked.
"Not yet. I've been too focused on other things to worry about the concours."
"Oh, I hope you don't mind but I picked out a few pieces that I thought would be good for you. For some reason, I had a feeling that you would forget about the concours."
"Really?! Thank you so much, Keii!"

He simply flashed a gentle smile in reply. I looked through the music sheets he handed me and found myself smile. These notes and melodies...they were perfect.

These pieces were the ones I had first picked out but never bothered to look through. I guess I was just rushing things too much.

"Thanks Keii."
"You're welcome, (Y/n)."

We practised together for a while after school. The time didn't seem like something we needed to worry about. We kept on playing and playing, paying no mind to anything around us.

Well, that was until the door opened. Keii and I stopped playing to look at who it was. Len stood there with a raised eyebrow. I simply stared at him with a confused expression.

"(Y/n), have you forgotten? We agreed to meet up today, and we were supposed to meet an hour ago," he exclaimed.
"Oh, right! I'm sorry, I was too caught up in this..."
"*smiles* Don't worry about it. I just wanted to tell you that I handed everything to the police. Also, Hino shouldn't be bothering us anymore."
"Really? That's great."
"(Y/n), I think I'll head home now," said Keii.
"Hmm, going so soon?"
"It's already 5:45. I need to go home for dinner tonight."
"Oh, I forgot about the time. Well, see you tomorrow."

He gave me a small nod in reply before leaving with his music and cello. Len came in after shutting the door. He got out his violin and handed me some music sheets.

"Want to play?" he asked.

I nodded happily as I set the sheets on the stand for the piano. Len started first, pulling the bow effortlessly over the strings of his violin. I joined in on the piano, letting my fingers do all the work.

To be honest, I could've played on like this forever without a care in the world...but that was just impossible. There were still a lot of things I had to do.

~Some time later~

It was seven by the time Len and I finished practicing. After a while of arguing, I finally agreed to him taking me out for a simple dinner in town. I was still worried about Haku-nii and dad though.

"Where do you want to eat?" Len asked.
"Anywhere is fine."
"Then come on. I know a good place."

I happily let him lead me to the cosy restaurant. It was more like a cafe which was designed to be like a comfortable home. I looked at the menu and smiled. It had some of my favourite foods here.

"Choose whatever you want. I'll pay," exclaimed Len.
"No, I'm not letting you pay-"
"What kind of boyfriend would let their girl pay?"
"*blushes* Len!"
"It's settled then. I'm paying."

I could only sigh in defeat as he ordered our food. Was there really no way for me to convince him otherwise? I guess not...I was never good at convincing people.

Haku-nii's POV

I wiped the blood away as it dripped down my chin. My old man had beaten me up like I was a punching bag. Damn it! If only he wasn't our father, he would've been dead long ago...

I winced in pain as I stood up and slumped down at the couch. Damn him...I was trying! Could he not see that?! I was trying! Earning money by myself was hard! Couldn't he at least stop whining about mum's death and help me?...

What about (Y/n)? At least do it for her if you're not going to do it for me. Someone...please help my sister. I could take on anything as long as she was safe.

From her birth, she had always been very sensitive and fragile even though she may not act like it. She was like a flower that could wither at one's gentle touch...

I reached for my phone when it vibrated despite the pain coursing through my muscles. (Y/n)...now was not a good time to call...

"Yeah?"
"Sorry I couldn't go home earlier. I was too busy practicing and-"
"Whatever, I don't care about what you've been doing. As long as I know you're safe."
"Haku-nii, something happened, didn't it?"
"Wait, dad's calling for me. Got to go, bye."
"Wait-"

*sigh* She should just have fun with Tsukimori and stop worrying about me...