Prologue

"April 20, 2018

Dear diary,

        I never knew that today would be the start of the apocalypse.

        I haven't eaten nor gotten any rest yet, but at least I survived. My dog Sparkles back home didn't, though... Neither did Mrs. Pepper, our neighbor... She was never really an athletic person, and she was nicest one in the neighborhood. She makes a mean pie, too, but we never really knew that it would be the last one she'd make...

        It was really disgusting seeing her being mauled alive by a bunch of... I don't even know what to call them, honestly.

        My parents and I are stuck in base 5. They say that the first base has been completely destroyed by these weird things. Oh, bases are safe areas, basically. I've heard that there are at least six of them. Don't know how long they can withstand all of this, though...

I'm scared.

        The military said that they're doing the best they can to keep them off of the safe areas, but it seems like even they are having a hard time doing so themselves.

        From what I heard, once you're bit, you only have fifteen seconds until you turn. When you're clawed, it'll take a little longer than that, though.

        These... "Things" don't even look human anymore. Their skin turns pale and their eyes are also plain white, but that's a good thing, I guess? They're kinda blind.

        Daddy said these things came from the North side of the country. He knows 'cause he's in the military. That's pretty much why we headed South, though. We were helped out by my dad's military friends and brought here in base 5. Oh, and! I also plan to enlist in the military some day just like daddy.

        I just hope everything will be fine. I hope they'll find a cure soon. They should, or else this nightmare will wipe off the rest of humanity for good.

        Anyway, I'll make sure to write every now and then. Good bye for now. Wish us luck.

                                          Sincerely,
                                                 Sammy"

**********

A/N: Hey! Quick note, Sammy's still 11 years old here. Just clarifying. Hope you guys like it so far! Thanks! 💖