Chapter 4: An Old Friend

“It’s been a while, hasn’t it?” the familiar feminine voice were welcomed by my ears.

        It’s been so long… It was quite a pleasant surprise seeing her here. She was out in a mission for quite some time. I think a couple of months? She went over to base 3 along with other soldiers in the military, as what the General had commanded them to do. The General’s words were the law here, considering the fact that he was basically our leader.

        “Yeah… It has.” I wasn’t able to contain myself as I headed over to her and gave her a tender embrace for a good few seconds. She hugged me back for that matter.

        “I’ve missed you, Major Campbell.” I’d tell her in the midst of the embrace.

        “I’ve missed you, too, kid.” She’d chuckle and pull away. She’d notice that Scarlett gave her a salute as a sign of respect. “No need for that now.” Major Campbell gaive her a warm smile as she gestured her to drop the salute.

        “It’s an honor to meet you, ma’am…” Scarlett would tell her, completely star struck, but unlike me, she’s very good at managing her feelings. It seemed as if she were about to cry tears of joy, honestly, which led to Major Campbell having this confused look on her face, but she kept smiling at Scarlett.

        “She’s been blabbering about you ever since she started out in the military, by the way. You’re her hero.” I’d explain to the Major, feeding her curiosity. This caused Scarlett to shoot me a glare whilst I only replied to her with a smirk.

        “Did she now, really?” Major Campbell had her hands on her hips as she smiled at Scarlett. This caused Scarlett to look down on the ground as a blush crept on her cheek. I could feel her mentally cussing at me during the whole situation.

        She was, and always has been a big fan of Major Campbell. She admired her skills and how well she is at the field. Major Campbell was basically her main inspiration and one of the reasons why she even enlisted in the military.

        “Y-Yes, ma’am. It’s true.” Scarlett managed to spit out, she never really wanted to lie to her idol. I chuckled at her for that, making her avert her attention towards me. I’d only give her a “Who’s-The-Awkward-One-Now?” look. This caused her to give me a death glare, and that made me chuckle even more.

        Major Campbell took a step closer to Scarlett and placed her hands on her shoulders. “I really appreciate how you seem to be my number one fan.” She’d smile at Scarlett. Scarlett’s cheeks suddenly had the shade of crimson red.

        “But Aunt Nina, aren’t I your number one fan?” I whined, coming closer to her. I probably seem like a kid right now, but who gives a fuck, right? I’d watch as Scarlett gave me another glare, but she couldn’t bad mouth me in front of her idol now, could she? I used this moment as an advantage.

        “You’re both my number one fans.” Nina would rub both of our heads. We’d both chuckle at that.

        “Mind if I have lunch with both of you wonderful young ladies?” she gave us a warm smile. “Of course!” we both said in sync.

        “Let’s go, then.” She’d say as she went ahead, leaving the both of us trailing behind her.

        Scarlett would quickly punch my arm when she wasn’t looking. “Oof!” I’d grunt when she did that. “That’s for being a dick, Carter.” Scarlett told me. I’d glare at her and punch her back at the arm, causing us to have a mini quarrel.

        “Aren’t you guys coming?” Major Campbell would turn around to look at us, but once she did, we looked like complete angels. “Yes, ma’am!” we both said in sync before following Major Campbell.