Chapter 11

"What?" I push away from him and prop myself up on my elbows.

"You heard me Addy." Ethan glances down at the sheets, tracing random figures into the fabric with his finger.

"I can't- I don't know-"

"I will give your dad my heart." Ethan says firmly.

"You can't." I blurt.

"You're dad's life is at stake right now. He's the only person you have left Addy."

"You can't do this, I don't want you to do this." I sputter, shaking uncontrollably.

"I'm dying anyway." Ethan concedes.

I burst into tears, burying my face in my palms, trying to swallow my sobs. "No," I'm hysterical. "No, I don't want you to die. I don't- Ethan, you can't do this-"

Ethan slides his hand hesitantly behind my head, grasping the base of my neck. "Shhhh." he whisper, pulling me into his chest so my sobs are smoldered against his skin.

"If I give your dad my heart, at least there will still be a piece of me with you when I'm gone." He pulls back and runs a thumb under my eye. "I honestly can't ask for anything more than to leave a part of me behind for you."

"I would rather have my heart beating and staying by your side than having it cold and dead. Right?" Ethan gives me a slight smile.

"You need your dad, he loves you. Let me do this for you Addy, for you and for me. I want my heart to keep loving you."

I tilt my head so my ear is pressed against is warm skin again. I can hear his heart beating inside. I feel the steady pulsing with every beat. I squeeze my eyes shut and force myself to make a decision.

-----

ETHAN'S POV

I'm talking to some random jail warden.

"Do you know how I can donate my organs after my sentence.

He shoots me a funny look.

"Why don't you fill in a form to talk to the Officer in Charge." He turns to walk away.

"Wait," I press up against the bars of my cell trying to get closer to him. "I've applied for organ donation. You can check my drivers license. This is urgent." I pause for a moment. "Please."

He stops in his tracks and turns back slowly. "Do you know who the recipient of your organ is? Is it specific?"

I nod.

"If I'm not wrong, your execution is supposed to be facilitated by lethal injection. This causes cardiac arrest. That means your heart will die. Hanging causes brain death but you heart is still sustained afterwards. The only possible solution to you problem is changing you execution method from lethal injection to hanging."

My heart picks up speed.

"Alright then, tell them to hang me."