chapter 5

There was something wrong with Chousuke- Bakugou could practically feel the strangeness radiating off of him. He'd dragged himself into homeroom that morning looking pale with dark circles under his eyes, something that wasn't exactly unusual for him, so Bakugou paid no mind. He did start to become more concerned, however, when he didn't speak. Usually, Chousuke was bursting with life no matter how exhausted he was, and always made an effort to say good morning to everyone. 'Especially Deku,' he thought distastefully.

This morning, he barely acknowledged anyone's existence. He simply sat down in his seat and took to staring at his hands and picking his nails. He was the same through all of homeroom, and even during their English lesson with Present Mic.

He knew Chousuke could speak a bit of English, along with other more mainstream languages such as French, German, Spanish and Russian. He remembered him speaking a few sentences in each of the dialects and explaining to him that he picked it up due to his mother's television presence. A few of her interviews had been translated into other languages, and he used to watch all of them religiously with his siblings, so they all managed to pick some of it up. Knowing this, he couldn't understand why he wasn't answering at least some of the questions.

"Which of these English sentences is wrong?" Present Mic had loudly asked the class. Bakugou glanced over to Chousuke, who was staring at the board with an emotionless expression. It was obvious he knew the answer, he could see by the way he was staring at a certain answer, seemingly getting more and more agitated with each passing second. Bakugou couldn't help but think how normal the situation was- it was like they weren't even in a hero school. "Everybody, heads up! Let's get this party started!"

Chousuke groaned quietly at the teacher and moved his head to stare out of the window, while Bakugou was growing more concerned by the minute. He made a mental note to aggressively ask if he was alright later on.

"The relative pronoun is in the wrong place in number 4!" Some nerd shouted, probably Iida, and Present Mic confirmed it as correct. At this, Bakugou noticed Chousuke move so that his head rested in between his crossed arms on the desk, still staring out of the window. He didn't move for the rest of the lesson.

They didn't sit together at lunch, not that they were expected to. Bakugou sat with Kirishima, Kaminari, Sero and Mina, while Chousuke sat quietly with Deku, Uraraka and Iida. He wasn't saying anything, more just staring at the trio absently. Not that Bakugou was doing much else. He hadn't taken his eyes off of him the whole morning.

It was only during their afternoon classes that Chousuke finally spoke, almost making Bakugou flinch when he did so.

"Today's gone pretty slow, right Izu?" His speech sounded drawled and dull, like he was forcing himself to talk. He'd never heard him talk like that before. Something was definitely up.

"What?" Deku hummed. "I think it's gone fast, actually. I can't believe it's already the afternoon," he smiled at Chousuke, who clearly forced one back. It was shaky and dry, with no real happiness behind it whatsoever. Bakugou's chest seemed to tighten at the sight. God, was he really getting so pathetic that it made him sad to see some guy faking a smile? Granted, Chousuke wasn't just 'some guy'. Not to him, at least. But he still stood by what he'd thought- he was getting pathetic.

"I am..." The voice of All Might broke him away from his thoughts, the sound resonating from behind the classroom. "Coming through the door like a normal person!" He shouted, slamming it open suddenly and leaning forwards on his toes. He was clad in his classic hero costume with his blue cape flowing behind him almost comically.

"It's All Might!"

"Wow, he really is a teacher!"

"That's the costume from the Silver Age, isn't it?"