She wiggled around on the stool in excitement before facing the piano. A smile lit up her face and she placed her little fingers on the keys. She was bouncing in her seat as she began to play her little nursery rhyme again. I raised the bow to the violin and began to play the nursery rhyme with her. The piano and violin combined for a simple little tune but it still made me smile. It made Kendallyn so happy when she's able to play with me. And it made me happy to make her happy.

There was suddenly quiet clapping that filled the room. My head snapped up in alarm and all the air left my lungs in one breath. Familiar golden hair. Familiar chocolate eyes. Familiar shining teeth and crooked grin. It has been 6 years. But six years only served him well.

I stood hastily, setting the violin down. I dropped into a curtsy, looking down at the polished floor. "Your majesty."

"Mommy!" Kendallyn whisper yelled. "It's the prince!"

I heard Prince Maxon chuckle. I straightened up from my curtsy but still looked down at my ballet flats. I knew he wouldn't recognize me. Too long ago and too much alcohol involved. But there was still something keeping my eyes glued to my shoes.

"That's one of the most beautiful duets I've ever heard," The prince commented.

"You shouldn't joke. She doesn't understand your sarcasm," I said, looking up slightly.

"I am not joking, nor am I using sarcasm," The prince assured, taking a step into the room. I took a minuscule step back, barely a shuffle. "I think your mother daughter bond really made the song beautiful."

"Thank you," I mumbled, looking back at Kendallyn.

"Thank you," Kendallyn bubbled.

I finally looked up at him completely, our eyes meeting. I quickly looked away. Chocolate orbs. So similar to my daughters and yet so
different.

"Have we.....met before?" The Prince asked.

I laughed bitterly. "I think I'd remember meeting the prince of Illea."

"You look familiar."

"I have one of those faces," I said flatly, walking across the room and placing the violin back in its place. I turned back to face him, my hands gripping the table. "Now if you'll excuse me, there is a ball tonight. And I need to practice."

There was finality in my words. The conversation was over. I had just been harsh and unkind to my prince. And I don't know why. He has never done anything. But there is just something about him being in the sane room as our daughter, my daughter, that ticked me the wrong way. I'd have to get over that.

"Of course," Prince Maxon agreed, not yelling at me for disrespecting him or firing me. I peeked up and watched him leave, Celeste entering the room as he left.

Her mouth fell open and she pointed back at him, asking a silent question. I shook my head and walked back to the piano.

~oOo~

"Woah."

"Woah," Celeste echoed.

The Illean ballroom was nothing like I had ever expected. Glittering chandeliers and sparking lights hung from the tall ceiling. Dark blue and shiny silver decorated the room in tapestries, table clothes, and every other decor. There was a large stage in the back of the room with all instruments needed for our set tonight. There were maids walking around with drinks and hors d'oeuvres on trays. There was loud talking and dancing an laughing. It was almost like a very fancy prestigious club. This was not a ball. This was a party.