Chapter 28: All the Emotions

Start from the beginning

Eve laughed as she grabbed one of the cookies from Moryo's plate. "Glad I'm not annoying."

"Well," Moryo trailed off, "I mean..."

Nelyo cackled as Eve pouted across from him. When she stood suddenly from the table and went to the door, beside which lay a window, they watched her curiously.

"It's dawn already?" She turned and looked at her two friends in surprise. "Did Káno play that long?"

"Yes," Moryo nodded. "I am not surprised you did not notice. His songs carry great power."

Eve smiled, tossing the white blanket back onto her chair in the living room and swinging open the door. "I'm going to sit outside!"

"Do as you will," Moryo agreed. "I will not. I will stay inside her and enjoy my cookies, untouched by you."

And so Eve went out the front door and found a small porch swing to her right. Carefully, being especially aware of her dress, she sat upon the white porch swing and looked out over the street. The short green grass and small path down to the road stood lined with flowers of all colors but especially reds and whites.

A gentle breeze blew strands of her auburn hair out of place and across her cheeks. The radiance of Laurelin's light grew with each passing minute. She closed her eyes as golden rays reached across the sky, mingling with the fading silver of Telperion. She remained there for several minutes before a commotion drew her from her quiet mind.

"Good morning, Eve!" Finno called quickly. Behind him, at the road, stood Turvo and golden-haired Elenwë with four horses.

Eve smiled wide and waved at all three of them. Findekáno wore a light blue flowing shirt and grey pants, a belt of black across his waist. The ever present golden ribbon in his braid gleamed in the light as he bounded up the path to her. He smiled at Eve and sat down beside her, rocking the porch swing.

Eve squeaked in surprise and laughed, smacking him on the shoulder. "Really?"

"What?" He feigned innocence but a snarky grin stayed plastered across his expression. "You know, if we are to visit the Two Trees, you may wish to change."

Eve shot up. "Really? We're going?"

Turvo nodded from the road. "Come on. We will stop by Fëanáro's house so you can change. All the supplies are packed already."

Nelyo, Káno, and Moryo appeared in the door moments later. Evidently surprised to see their half cousins, all three walked out barefoot.

"You three may want to change as well," Finno laughed. "Now that you have surely enjoyed a wholesome breakfast."

"To the Trees then?" Nelyo nodded with a smile. "Indeed. Head to our parents' house. We will change and meet you there."

Finno laughed as he took Eve's hand and dragged her, both laughing, down the path to Turukáno and Elenwë. "Already ahead of you, cousin. Do not tarry long."

Eve waved back at them. She hugged Elenwë carefully. The woman stood dressed in a light grey and gold riding tunic, with pink petal designs throughout. The woman's warm flaxen hair was held back by two partial braids, the rest of her hair flowing beneath her shoulders freely.

"Good morning, Eve. Are you rested?" Elenwë smiled at her as they all began moving down the road.

"As rested as I need to be I think," Eve replied. She shrugged. "I did not feel the need to sleep. We stayed up listening to Káno play his harp."

"Invigorating in and of itself," Turvo added in response. He smiled at Eve. "Whenever Káno plays, it impresses me."

"Yeah no kidding," she agreed.

They walked for about ten minutes before reaching the road to Fëanáro and Nerdanel's. Both stood outside watching the Ambarussa, though Fëanáro spoke with the Tyelko and Curvo. The first and third seemed to be arguing with Tyelkormo who stood beside Huan. Both Fëanáro and his fifth son had arms crossed.

"Mother, Father," Pityo called, grinning at the newcomers, "Eve is home!"

"Yes she is!" Eve laughed as Pityo ran at her, grabbing her in a hug. "Good morning."

Tyelko glared one last time at his father before turning to Eve, Finno, Turvo, and Elenwë. Huan bounded over and Eve hugged the massive golden hound.

"Good morning to you, too, bud!" She ruffled his fur and stood up straight again.

Fëanáro walked over to them, standing in front of Findekáno and Turukáno. "Do not take too long at Ezellohar, or Valmar. You occupy my sons' time far too often for my liking."

Finno's smile dropped. "Of course, lord."

Tyelko scoffed and moved past his father, standing beside Huan and Eve. "These days only Curvo is particularly interested in the forge. I for one look forward to visiting the Trees." He gestured to Finno. "Even had Findekáno not suggested it, I would have."

Eve realized then that Fëanáro's disagreement with Tyelko must have been over the sons of Arafinwë. Clearly they had known about the visit before they arrived.

"Come on, Eve. Go get changed," Nerdanel called to her with a smile. "You should put that dress away where it is safe!"

Eve laughed and agreed immediately. "Don't leave without me," she added, turning back to Finno, Turvo, Tyelko, and Elenwë.

Elenwë chuckled back a response. "I will make sure they do not!"

Eve hustled indoors and to her room. She carefully stripped off her dress. When she turned to her bed, she found a riding outfit layed out and waiting. "Nerdanel you absolutely amazing woman!"

The auburn haired young woman slipped into the red and black outfit, brushed her hair out to take the knots from the curls, and slipped into her black riding boots. With quick strides, she made her way back out. Eve snagged an apple from the fruit bowl. As she reached the yard, she found Nelyo, Káno, and Moryo there with their horses.

"All right!" Eve clapped her hands as she dashed over. "Are we ready?"

Finno helped Eve up onto Alassë as they all climbed atop their horses. Telvo and Pityo frowned, begging their mother to let them go. Fëanáro shot that down immediately. Curvo snickered behind them, causing Telvo to turn and take a swing at his older brother. Nerdanel caught that boy's arm mid swing and glared so forcefully at that half of the Ambarussa that he looked down in shame.

"Farewell!" Nerdanel waved at them, smiling. "Do not rush back. Enjoy Valmar and the green fields of Ezellohar."

"We will bring back gifts," Káno assured her and his twin brothers.

And so they set off. Finno, riding beside Eve, explained to her that the journey would take a bit over a week. Plenty of inns dotted the road from Tirion to Valmar, the city of the Valar. They would stay in Valmar, and from there take a day trip or two to the Trees. Everytime Eve glanced at Findekáno, her smile only grew and occasionally Nelyo caught her blushing when she looked away. He had to hide his own smirk every time.