I jog back to my mates truck and get in the drivers seat, buckling my seatbelt before I crank up and exit the station. We drive through town, all of us deciding to eat later, after we've left the county.

We reach the county line after about thirty minutes, and I see Tony sitting on the side of the road at the county sign, leaning against a blue Rav 4. I pull over on the side of the road behind him, and he jogs towards us with a black object in his hand. I roll down the window, and he leans in to talk.

"Glad you guys made it. I'm Tony, and you must be Kane's mate, right?"

Sapphira nods shyly, and Tony smiles before looking to the backseat.

"And you must be Maka. Glad I could talk you guys into rebelling, I promise it's worth it."

"Trust me, we know it's worth it." I reply, interlocking my fingers with Sapphira's as she leans into my side.

"Great to hear. Okay, here's how it's gonna work. You guys will follow behind me, and we'll drive for a couple of hours before we stop for something to eat. Oh, and here."

He hands me the black object, which now I now see is obviously a walkie-talkie. Since we don't have cell phones, and still have to communicate, they'll be necessary for passing instructions on the road.

"I'm gonna need a shotgun rider, so which of you lovely ladies would like to volunteer?"

He teases halfheartedly, and I scowl at him while holding Sapphy's hand a little tighter.

"Looks like it's me, cowboy." Maka mutters, the amusement in her tone obvious as she hops out the truck with her bag.

"Have fun lovebirds, don't do anything crazy while we're gone!" Tony teases as they walk quickly towards the car, and I roll my eyes at his antics. Though I have to admit, it's good to see him so happy... he didn't have that when he was in Black Sun.

My eyes flicker to Sapphy before we start driving, me and Ares excited by the fact that we'll be spending the next couple of days traveling together, in a truck all to ourselves...all the time in the world to talk and spend time together...no time limits or restrictions. Just us.

"This is Rebel one to Rebel two, you ready to roll?"

Me and Saph just look at each other for a minute, giving each other an 'is he mental' look before she tries to answer back, but from the way it looks she can't find the right button.

"Try the blue button sweetheart."

She presses it, and I let my growl rumble loudly before talking into the thing.

"Don't call my mate sweetheart, got it Tony?"

"Ooh, someone's territorial."

"Lets get moving."

"Grumpy too, but alright Rebel two, follow me. First stop, Prescott."

~~~~~~~~~

We drove for a couple of hours before stopping to eat in Prescott, then we continued onward for another hour or so until we stopped at the Grand Canyon, Sapphira taking pictures with her Nikon camera to document our first visit. Exploring for a while before reluctantly moving on...and finally crossing the state line with my mate snapping photos and talking to me along the way.