Chapter 30: Bloody and Bruised (For You)

Start bij het begin

How times changed.

She could barely remember those days now. The trivial times of high school were behind her. She had a new life, and she embraced the eternity she had before her. And she wasn't second best now. No, she was first choice. First choice to the most powerful creature they knew.

If that wasn't a compliment, she didn't know what was.

Bonnie's door was closed, and for the first time, Caroline wasn't on the other side of it confiding with her best friend. She bit her lip before sighing and knocking.

"Caroline?" Bonnie's voice sounded thin through the door, and she took it as an invitation to come inside. The blonde opened the door to see Bonnie lying on her bed, looking towards Caroline with a mixture of hurt and thanks. She didn't know which one she should be more affected by, but guilt naturally overtook her and she drew closer to the bed hesitantly.

"Bonnie." Caroline breathed, the tears coming to her eyes unbidden. "I'm so sorry."

"Stefan's talked me through everything." Bonnie said in a lifeless voice. "I don't think there's anything you have left to say."

"Then why did you want to see me?" Caroline asked quietly, trying to swallow back her tears. She hated what she had done, but she couldn't have thought of any other way around the problem.

"I don't know." Bonnie said hoarsely.

"Have you...completed the transition?" Caroline asked.

Bonnie shook her head, her eyes narrowed. "I don't want to. I don't want this."

"I know, but what else was I supposed to do, Bon?" Caroline cried. "They were going to kill you, or you were going to kill them. I had no choice."

"You could have let me die." Bonnie was ashen, but her voice was firm. "I don't remember any of the witches or Silas talking to me, or anything from before the island. But I never wanted this, Care. You could have let me die."

"I couldn't." Caroline said fiercely, the tears coursing down her pale cheeks as she sat on the edge of the bed, her knees allowing her to collapse. "I can't. We need you, Bon. I need you. I can't let you go. You're my best friend..."

Bonnie bit her lip, her eyes shining with unshed tears. She reached out and touched Caroline's hand comfortingly, and the blonde girl clasped it between her own, pleading.

"You have to complete the transition. Being a vampire's not that bad. You're fast, and strong, and nothing can hurt you..." Caroline thought of the benefits, wildly searching for them in her mind. "You're invincible. You can't get sick. You don't need to take hayfever tablets every morning, don't think that I've forgotten that you've had to do that for the last eight years."

Bonnie let out a small laugh, but her face remained unsmiling after the sound had dissolved into the still air.

Caroline reverted back to her serious self. "Its so free, Bon. Its freedom."

"No." Bonnie said bluntly. "Being a witch was freedom. It was to me, at least. It was natural." She sighed, the air wavering as she fought back tears. "I miss it, Care. I wasn't in touch with nature months ago. The spirits turned their back on me when I did what I did for you all. That was agony. And now I can't even touch them. They're not there. They've deserted me completely."

"I won't desert you. I'll do everything for you in return, Bon." Caroline swore. "I'll find the cure. And I'll give it to you. You'll be human again."

Bonnie blinked. "But Elena – "

"Elena doesn't want it. And you need it. And you've done so much for us. Its time someone did something for you." Caroline said fiercely. "We'll find the cure for you, Bonnie. I promise." She squeezed her friends hand lightly. "Just complete the transition, and I promise, I'll find the cure and I'll give it to you."