Chapter 3: New York, New York

Começar do início

"Perhaps not this time."

Caroline shot him a look and flounced into the room. Klaus followed, shutting the door behind them both.

"I don't even have anything to change into, thanks to your kidnapping."

"Voluntary abduction, Miss Forbes. And Tyler kindly packed your bag."

Caroline recognised one of the overnight bags in his hands, and she snatched it from him quickly, throwing him the dirtiest glare she could muster before retreating to the bathroom for some privacy.

Tyler must have been able to get some of her clothes together for them to escape before Bonnie called him for the plan. Caroline shook her head. Bonnie had seemed harsh and cold, even considering the extra information of how her best friend was running off with the Grand Master Hybrid. She'd had to tap into some seriously dark magic...had it changed her?

Caroline exhaled, checking her phone. It was too much for her to worry about right now. She had her own troubles. And the gang back in Mystic Falls would keep Bonnie safe and sound. Her mobile had been on silent all day: she couldn't handle her friends criticism once they realised where she was.

Five missed calls from Bonnie, four voicemails

Three missed calls from Stefan, three voicemails

One from Damon

One from Matt

One from Tyler

Eight texts from Stefan

Four texts from Bonnie

Three from Matt

None from Elena

Weird. Caroline ignored the creeping lonely blue feelings at Elena's silence. Her friend had guessed already that she would save Klaus, perhaps she didn't judge her.

She dared to listen to the voicemails.

"Caroline, I cannot believe that you just did that. You have to come back, okay? Turn around right now, and just run till you get back here, so I can kick your sorry butt." Bonnie sounded pissed.

"Care, its me. I...look, I'm sorry, okay? Forget what I said. We just need you back here. I'm sorry. Just come home. We'll sort all this out. Love you."

Caroline pressed the end button, not able to continue on if the rest of the messages from Bonnie were like this. She could only imagine the ones from Stefan. Her phone buzzed with another message, and she couldn't bring herself to check it, or even the rest of them. She switched the mobile off. She'd deal with it tomorrow.

Caroline checked the contents of the bag: two shirts and a pair of jeans that simply would not create a good outfit – Tyler's lack of fashion was probably a good thing, but seriously? – underwear, a toothbrush, a shirt and some shorts from the college her dad had gone to that had become her favourite sleeping gear, and...and...a curling iron. Caroline sniffed, refusing to tear up. It was so considerate of him to take her craziness seriously. But she steeled herself in the fact that it just hadn't been working out for them, and turned on the shower, grabbing the complimentary Hilton Hotel Shampoo and Conditioner. She needed to calm the hell down.

Caroline pulled back the shower curtain, noting the mesh on top that allowed the occupant to see the bathroom. Good. Klaus couldn't sneak up on her. She heaved a sigh, knowing that she had willingly stepped into this bargain, and she was actually gaining a little from it. Friends safe, check. Seeing the world, check. A little more time to figure out everything with the charming hybrid/killer, check.

Maybe she was insane.

Either way, she wasn't going to let him get to her so easily. She knew what he had done was wrong, and she wasn't about to let down her guard so quickly.