Prompt - "Dream a Dream"

A/N: first use of a prompt/first contest entry! Will probably end up doing more in the future.

First person:

I used to build dreams about you.

Threads of perfection, fibers of endearment. They were strung together with such meticulousness, such astuteness. Every detail was captured from the glint of sunlight in your gaze to the scuffs on your shoes.

There could be peace.

The gentle breeze wavering the field ahead, streaks of golden from the earth. The sky outstretched in magnificent hues of indigos and pinks and oranges, desperately reaching out past the faint outline of the pines. Your hand could be entwined in my own as we ambled down the dirt path in the center of it all.

There could be... curiosity.

The stars reflecting unsteadily on the lake, pinpricks of hope from the void of space. The sky a vast pool of navy, inhabiting specks of light alongside a gleaming crescent moon. We could be laid down with our backs against a grassy hill, staring into the depths of the universe. I could be pointing as a stream of glitter flickered past, eyes shining in amazement as you pulled me closer.

There could be comfort.

The dim light of the lamp casting rays and shadows on the pages of a book, whispers in the air of a story as perfect as ours. The sky rolled out in doleful dark clouds, weeping its tears from above as thunder echoed softly. The curtains could be parted just at the middle to see raindrops stream down the window. The inconsistent patter of the rain could be as soothing as your melodious heartbeat and quiet voice, reading. We could be cherishing each other's presence under the warmth of a blanket, sunk into the cushions of the sofa.

There could be contentment.

The bright lights of the amusement park emitting a glow of joy, various colors visible from the top seat of the ferris wheel. The sky alight with the highest lights at the tops of roller coaster tracks or entangled around our car. Prizes and cotton candy only an afterthought, we could peer out together at the festivities and smile, my head on your shoulder.

There could be recollection.

The aging pages of a photo album fraying slightly at the edges, memories on display for an eternity. The sky a cloudless wonder, a cheerful blue, containing the light that flooded into the room and onto the photos. These jovial moments could have accumulated along the years we spent together, recorded in our own history for us to remember. We could curl up with the album between us, smiling at our favorite memories.

These were my escape, my sanctuary, security from the outside. From the horrendous truth. The reality of it all.

These crafts were ripped to shreds after so much time, devotion, for one thought kept biting back. Fake.

For I only used to...

Since there was agitation.

Since there was ignorance.

Since there was distress.

Since there was disturbance.

Since there was forgetfulness.

I was torn apart by these wretched truths, left to suffer while you simply allowed me to do so. I was forced to endure the pain that you inflicted upon me; I merely wished it could be different.

WORD COUNT: 500

Prompt: "I used to build dreams about you." -F. Scott Fitzgerald

Update/Author's Note: this entry won the first prompt writing contest! You can now find this book on the TeenFiction reading lists! I'd also like to thank those who have commented on this, it really means a lot to me :)