Chapter 1: Evolution Unlocked

Start from the beginning

    The inhabitants of the floating cities didn't even leave as their population increased. Any time they needed more space, they re-purposed the nanotechnology to grow the island, up and out. The only means of getting to these islands was aboard a jump ship.

    A jump ship looked similar an old stealth plane with angular wings, a flat body, and looked like a "W" if viewed from the top. It used gravitational thrusters to maneuver in the Earth's atmosphere. Rumors suggested that space operations commenced years ago, but those on the outside of the cities lacked any real information. Many of the nano injection shipments dropped from the air and it was rare to talk to any city dweller. Those that lived outside the city did not understand what happened inside.

    The seclusion and isolation of the city folk was part of the reason Jared left to become an explorer. Another reason was both his parents had died and he felt despondent. The mundane everyday life held no appeal anymore. It had been over two years since he'd been on his own and he was no closer to uncovering truth than they day he left home. He determined to keep going until he found answers or died trying.

    From where Jared now stood atop the rusted slag of metal, a complete view of the horizon showed the destroyed New York City in its apocalyptic glory. He had a long trek to the city. When the nuke landed, it evaporated any of the water for hundreds of miles in any direction. The floating city that had been closest to New York endured the concussive force and almost resulted in its destruction. They survived and over time rebuilt, so it floated within the boundaries of the new Atlantic Ocean.

    He couldn't see far enough to make out the city as it moved over time, but he knew the general direction having walked up to the ocean once. He didn't plan to make that journey again. If the rest of world was a cesspool, the Ocean was the Abyss reserved for only the worst creatures. Massive mutated creatures swam in the depths and proximity alone had been enough to give Jared nightmares. He observed the waters churning as epic battles waged beneath the inky darkness and he had no wish to go anywhere near it again.

    He looked at the path he needed to take into the city and decided it was time to get moving. From his vantage he could see into the crater where the ocean used to rest. It was a several mile trek into the city and he needed to make sure he made it back out before nightfall or find a place he could barricade against the dangers of the night. There were somewhat intact skyways that had fallen into the crater he could use for the hike. Other parts still bathed in darkness he intended to avoid. He could see okay in the dark, but there were creatures that only lived in darkness and he had no wish to test his mettle against them.

    He took two hours to get to the city based on the sun's position. It had been a smooth trip and no unexpected attacks happened. He got a sense that something followed him for a short time, but it abandoned the hunt after an hour.

    Jared explored the city for around six months and covered the first layer of buildings around the city. Today he planned to venture further into the city looking for corpses that still had nano injections on them. Explorers often marked their passage with graffiti or signs to other explorers. They didn't belong to a brotherhood, but every explorer knew the dangers that existed and did their best to help their fellows when possible. Jared had seen several markings in this city from different people. Each person had a distinct method of marking their passage.

    There was one corridor that had markings leading much further into the city. Based on the weathered markings, it had been years since anyone explored here. The markings extended well past any safety threshold Jared planned to pass, but he needed to find nano injections and this was an explored path. He saw an end to the markings and assumed the explorer died before they finished their work.