Chapter 7: Stalking the Prey

Moving! Jared set out toward the other explorer's. Let me know when I get within two miles. I don't want to be any closer than that especially when we are walking across these wide open areas.

It looks like you were right. They are by-passing the city and heading south.

Jared kept a steady pace for hours, following the group. He heard Scarlet flapping as she came in for a landing next to him, raising another cloud of dust.

I need to rest for a while. They are in a wide stretch of open ground. It will not be hard for me to pick up the trail.

"So, flying? Judging by the emotions I'm getting from you, it must be awesome."

It... I... It is hard to put into words.

"How long do you think it will be before you can carry me? Or... can you even carry me? I guess I assumed you would be able to after you got stronger."

I could likely carry you now, but I could not fly long or far with the added weight. Perhaps after we assign the nanites I have available.

"Oh right! Dang, I'm sorry Scarlet. I got so caught up in all the activity I totally forgot about it. You're probably exhausted after everything we've been through. Do you need to rest? Should we forget about these people and go our own way?"

I will be fine until they stop for the night. I also know how I want to divide up my nanites.

"What're you thinking?"

I think it is important that I fortify my defenses and increase the only ranged attack I have available. If I can increase the strength of my fire breathing, we will not have to fear many creatures on open ground as I fly above and rain fire down.

"Heck yea! That was awesome in the tunnel! I definitely want to see you do it again and I it would be awesome to see from the air. Okay, what else do you want to enhance?"

I also need to increase my size and defensive abilities.

"Why don't I assign them right now? It won't start the transformation until you sleep anyway, right?"

Correct, here is how I would like to divide them. Scarlet projected a mental image to Jared of her status screen.

Physical AugmentationMuscle Mass - 20%Body ManipulationRegeneration - 10%Remodeling - 10%Physical Defense/AttackSkin Hardening - 5%Scale Hardening - 10%Bone Hardening - 10%Fire Breathing - 20%Brain EnhancementSenses - 10%

"What is the Remodeling attribute for?"

Because I am increasing my muscle mass significantly, I also need to ensure that my skeletal frame can support the addition. Between remodeling and bone hardening, they will support the added muscle.

"How do you choose what to remodel?"

It is something you will learn after you increase your Mind. It requires a deep understanding of the nanites to manipulate individual changes instead of the categories I created for you. While I can't choose where to assign them, I can direct my own after you have made the selections.

"Maybe I should assign all the nanites I get from now on into Mind. It seems like there are a lot of things I'm missing out on because I'm not smart enough," Jared said wryly.

Your physical body is strong now, but you could use more defense. I believe it wise to increase your mental prowess next. We will then share more than just mundane words and vague emotions. After you increase your Telepathy and Intellect sufficiently, we can share thought spaces and communicate instantaneously.