Chapter 1 Pt. 1

(Warning this story is very much unedited. Consider this book a practice and I hope that feedback from this book helps me make it a lot better in the future. Enjoy!)

Valentina hadn't realized that the guy watching her from the booth would change her routine life. She didn't have a problem with her routine but like the stories, she enjoyed reading. She imagined that one event, or even that one person...

"Tall dark and gorgeous has been staring at you for the past 10 minutes Val," Phoebe said nudging her shoulder.

Valentina glanced over at the guy fitting her description taking in mind that he did keep staring at her. Yes, he was very attractive, and some new guy that had recently come to town. Rolling her eyes at her friend who took an order at the register, she wiped her dusty hands on her jeans.

"I'm not into clichés Phoebe"

"I forget you've read almost every book in the store, so expect you to spot a cliché. But why not get his number?"

"Because I'm not interested in him," Valentina said tucking a curly hair back into her ponytail as she wiped her hands on her apron.

"Your last relationship was in sixth grade Val, its long past due to get back out there"

"Oh, really and how did that relationship end for me again?" Valentina mused.

"He cheated on you with me, I told you when I found out etc. At least it led to us becoming friends am I right?" Phoebe said as she handed a customer their coffee smiling at them.

Valentina was about to reply when their boss Terry came out the back room reprimanding them for doing too much talking and not enough working.

She bent to pick up the box sitting in the corner and went up the spiral staircase in the back of the shop to the library section of the store. There were a few customers upstairs, but Valentina spotted Heather sitting on one of the beanbag chairs chatting away on her phone. When she saw Valentina looking she glared at her saying she was on break.

Heather took many breaks throughout her shifts and left the work to Valentina and Phoebe to finish. It got annoying, but Valentina didn't mind since Terry acknowledged their work in the form of extra pay. Valentina put away the books in their correct spots then broke down the box to recycle at the end of the night. When she headed back downstairs Phoebe was making a latte for a customer, but the shop remained sparse with 6 customers in the booths and chairs.

The Café Nook didn't get much business as this was their usual for a Tuesday night, and Weekends were only slightly busier. During boring moments Valentina and Phoebe usually talked as they worked but now that Terry was hovering they focused more on the latter.

"Cruz go check on the regulars, we want them happy to keep coming back. Williams clean the espresso machine," Terry said looking at a checklist in his hands.

Valentina took the command in stride ignoring the way Phoebe gestured for her to get the guys number while she was at it. Valentina swallowed her nervousness and approached the guy.

"Can I offer you anything?" she asked trying to keep her voice from sounding meek.

The man looked at her with cold grey eyes, the scar on his cheek highlighted by the warm lights of the shop. His look made Valentina squirm, but she tried remaining neutral.

"Valentina Cruz?" he asked voiced tinted with a vaguely Russian accent.

"Do I know you?" she asked surprised he knew her.

Maybe she knew him around campus, but she was positive she'd remember seeing someone like him before if that was the case.

"No, but you may know something I need," he said unbashfully staring at her.