Chapter 33

Mason and Jaden had been running as wolves, for a day to get to where the pack had moved. The territory had the scent of rogues everywhere since they had claimed the land as their own. Mason wasn't happy knowing that, but he also didn't have time to fight the rogues over land they had lost months ago.

Running to meet the pack had given Mason and Jaden a lot of time to think. His last conversation with Valentina had plagued his mind, but as they drew closer to the pack a new feeling took place. He had spent 6 months avoiding them, the title of alpha, and what he had done to Adam. But now here he was willingly running back to it all. As they approached they detected the smells of their pack, as well as rouges.

'Rogues have been marking over it.' Jaden growled.

'Let's us be careful then.' Mason huffed in response.

They slowed to a stalk as they entered, careful not to make a sound. Along the way inside mason couldn't ignore the smells of blood and foreign rogues, it stirred feelings he didn't quite want to address yet. They approached a small clearing with the ground covered in leaves, moss, and thickets of bushes and trees surrounding the perimeter. Despite all of this they didn't see a single wolf in sight, and usually, the elders stayed in the nesting area. Mason and Jaden sniffed the ground to find where the wolves could've gone, and Jaden was the one to catch the trail.

'Follow me,' he said to Mason who trailed behind, him keeping watch through the trees.

The sun began to set, making the trees turn orange, and a chill settled in the air. Mason was thankful for his thick warm coat protecting him from the elements. As they followed the scents they noticed the random way it turned in circles and caught on.

'It's a trap!' Mason growled, and Jaden nodded.

Jumping back, they both avoided the two wolves who had lunged for them. The new wolves stood fur bristling along their spine, and lips pulled back from vicious fangs. Their former packmates had been the ones to set the trap, but by the way, their tails dropped, and they shared a look Mason knew they weren't who they had been expecting. Another tawny wolf ran from within the bushes tackling Mason to the ground but stopped when he got a good look at Mason and Jaden.

'So, you brought him back?' Zane said looking at Mason with disdain.

'Not exact-,' Jaden started but was interrupted.

'We came looking for Olivia' Mason replied, saving Jaden from having to explain.

'What business do you have with her, traitor?' Zane growled, on edge.

'Save it. I get that you hate me, and I'm sure every wolf here does, but I only came back because it's important,' Mason snapped. They didn't have time to argue.

'How do I know this is the truth?' Zane asked.

'It doesn't matter if you believe me. I just need to talk to her, and you don't need to leave us alone if it makes you feel better. I'm actually pleading with you here.' Mason said bowing his head and hating to show submission to the beta. It was clear he didn't trust them, but he eventually snorted and nodded to the two warriors at his side.

'I'll show you where she is, but we will watch your every move while you're there,' he snapped.

'Thank you,' Mason said sighing in relief.

He didn't want to fight with the beta right now. There was something more important than their rivalry that needed attention. As they walked they heard the howls of multiple wolves converging on their location. Zane growled turning towards the howls, ears pricked forward listening.

'Shit they're here.' Zane growled spinning on his heels and taking off.

They all followed after him knowing that those howls belonged to enemies. They ran leaping over obstacles and crossing a river until they reached more wolves. Mason recalled many of these wolves, they were from his pack, the one he had torn apart. When they appeared, a white wolf walked to meet them, and Zane and the warriors bowed. Mason and Jaden followed suit even though they were no longer in the pack themselves.