Chapter 14

The ride to Zombie town is quiet

The ride to Zombie town is quiet. Eliza grips onto my hand. Her fear is strong I can almost feel it. As zombies, we live in constant fear. Any day the police could come and lock us up, or decide that zombies should be extinct.

When the van stops, I quickly get off, holding my hands out to be let free of the painful restraints. Once gone, I rub my wrists, hoping to be rid of the numbness. "This is so incredibly stupid." I complain to my three friends.

"It makes no sense." Eliza agrees. "Cheerleaders steal my computer, sabotage everything, and zombies get the blame. It was stupid of us to think humans were going to change."

Zed moves closer to us. "Hey, it wasn't stupid. They will change. We deserve to be treated fairly, but fighting isn't going to get us anywhere."

"No, they won't." I argue. "I've waited my whole life for a change, and I'm sick of waiting. Enough's enough. We're going to force them to make us equal, or tear them down." Zed tries to grab my hand, but I pull away from him.

Dad exits the house, hurrying over to me and pulling me into his arms. "You're okay. When I saw the police I got worried. I thought they were going to take you away." He guides me inside. I don't look back, not even when Zed calls my name.

~

Eliza and a few select others stand before me. She came up with a plan for the Revolution. The perfect way to make ourselves known.

"I can hack into the software." Eliza tells us all. "The lights will go out, it'll be the perfect time. They won't know what's hit them." Tomorrow night at the cheer competition, we're going to strike.

"So, everyone know what they're supposed to do?" I question. Everyone nods, and I dismiss them.

Eliza stays behind. "Are you okay?" I nod, and she gives me a stern look.

"Fine, no." I admit, sitting down on the curb. "That policeman...he told me they're torturing my mother. She didn't even do anything wrong. Her zombie self gained control, it happens all the time. It was the fact that she bit someone's ear off that landed her there. They could've upgraded her z band, but instead they locked her up and are now torturing her." I bury my head in my hands, trying to control my crying. I fail, sobs overtaking my body.

Eliza wraps an arm around my shoulder, bringing me into a hug. "I'm not going to say I know what you're feeling. But I will help you in every way that I can."

I wipe my tears away, forcing myself not to cry. "I'll get my revenge. Tomorrow we get our revenge on the cheerleaders for making our lives miserable. Then, we get revenge on all of Seabrook."