5

David Brewster

        "Baby you ight  ?" I asked Janey as we got dressed to go to my mothers house

"Baby you ight ?" I asked Janey as we got dressed to go to my mothers house.

Once a month my family got together and just spent time together.

I wasn't gonna go at first but, my Aunt Nichelle begged me to come.

Nichelle was my favorite aunt being the fact she was more of a mother figure than any women in my life.

I named Michelle after her because she was one of the only person in my family that actually cared for us when Michelle was born.

She was nothing like my mother or my so called uncle.

I loved her as my own mother and she loved me as a son.

" I'm fine." She said a little too aggressively for my liking.

"Ight." I decided to just leave it alone I wasn't trying to angry with her, resulting in me being in a bad mood for the rest of the night.

I walked into Michelle's room to get her playing with her dolls still not dressed.

"Chelle why aren't you getting dressed?"

"Why would I be getting dressed?"She asked me confused.

I ran my hand down my face and sighed.

"Didn't your mother tell you to get dressed so we can go to Nanas?" I asked her in a duh like tone.

"Mommy never told me that." She said raising her eyebrows.

I squinted my eyes at her to see if she was lying but, I couldn't tell.

She really is my child I never could tell when she was lying.

"Just get dressed Chelle." I told her walking out of her room.

"Aye." I called to Janey but she looked out the window ignoring me.

" I really don't have time for this shit." I mumbled under my breath.

I pulled a chair up in front of her watching her roll her eyes.

"What's wrong whitchu?" I asked her.

" Why didn't you tell Chelle to get dressed like I asked you to?"

"Because shes not going." She said simply.

I squinted my eyes at her " What you mean she ain't going?"

She turned her head with the meanest look on her face and repeated slowly.

" She's...not ...going."

" And why not?" I asked her trying to figure out why she thinks Michelle's not going.

Janey Brewster

I rolled eyes at David trying to figure out why he thought my baby was going to be around those people.

" Do you really think that I'm going to allow my child to be around people who constantly put her down. They always have something to say about what she's wearing or how her hair looks." I asked him.

"Man what are you talking about it's not even what today is about we just spending time with my family. Aunt Nichelle really wants to see her." He tried to reason with me.

"And that's fine I have no problem with Nichelle seeing her. We can just set up a time for her to come over or something." I nonchalantly replied to him putting on my sunglasses.

"Baby you know if I could I would, She doesn't always have a free schedule this is one of the only times she's had a day off."

I rolled my eyes knowing he was right, Nichelle was one of the first women to become a brain surgeon at the age of  23 after graduating high school at just sixteen years old and 20 years later she was still doing her thing.

I thought long and hard about letting Michelle go because I knew Nichelle wanted to see her.

When I was pregnant with Michelle my parents kicked me out and I had no where to go.

Dave tried to get his mom to let me stay with them but when she found out I was pregnant she said that Michelle wasn't his and wouldn't allow us to stay there.

He told me had no choice but, to turn to Nichelle because she was the only one that understood what we were going through.

While we lived with her she told us to focus on finishing school and she would help take care of  Michelle both physically and  financially.

But of course David being the person he is was persistent to get a job and help support our baby.

" David I swear we are only going in there for Nichelle to see her and then we are leaving. If anyone and I mean anyone steps out of line we are going to have an issue." I told him.

I was done putting up with his families bullshit especially when he knows how they are.

He nodded his head looking

" I promise this first time somebody get out of line  imma put them in their place."

••

Chapter five is officially up!! The next chapter will be the family gathering.

What do you guys think is going to happen?

Is anyone going to step out of line?

Is Janey gonna have to put them in their place?

Excuse any errors

Make sure to vote and comment!!

Thank you guys for over 500 views it means so much to me!