Chapter 17

Ch. 17

Jake arrived promptly at 5:30 that evening. After he exchanged pleasantries with my parents, we were on our way to our first official date.

"What's for dinner?" I asked when we were settled into his truck. I brushed my long hair away from my face, wondering if I should have put it up into a messy bun. Georgia summers could be so brutal. Sometimes I fantasized about chopping it all off, but I knew I never would. My hair had been halfway down my back for as long as I could remember. No way was I cutting it now.

"I don't know. What are you in the mood for?" he asked with an amused smile.

I pretended to think, although I already had dinner planned out. "Ice cream," I stated firmly.

"Ice cream?" His eyes shot up in surprise, and I had to giggle. "For dinner?"

"Not just ice cream," I answered, as though he should know better. "Sweet Retreat has the best walking tacos, and I've been craving Mexican food and a chocolate milkshake all day!"

Jake chuckled. "That's one thing I like about you, Addison. You're not afraid to eat in front of me."

I laughed out loud and playfully punched his shoulder, pretending to be offended.

"So, what's Casablanca about anyway?" I asked.

He gave me a look of exasperation. "I can't believe you've never seen it."

I shrugged my shoulders and gave him a cockeyed grin.

"It takes place in early 1940's North Africa. It's about the owner of a popular cafe named Rick who runs into his old love, Ilsa. But she is married now to someone else," he explained. "They had met years before in Paris and were planning on escaping together because the Germans were about to invade France. But she never showed up."

A frown made its way across my face. "That sounds really serious."

"It's one of the greatest movies of our time. Everyone needs to see it at least once."

"And how many times have you seen it?"

"Including  this time?" he asked. "Once."

"What!  You've never even seen this movie?"

Jake started to laugh. "No, I haven't. But I've always wanted to."

"You made it sound as if you knew what you were talking about."

"I do know what I'm taking about. I studied Casablanca in Film Studies. Only, I missed the movie--I skipped that day," he added sheepishly.

I stared at him for a long moment before dissolving into a fit of giggles.

"What's so funny?"

"You! You're so full of crap. You intentionally mislead me."

"I didn't mean to, Addison. I really do want to see this movie. And I'd like to see it with you," he added with a sideways smirk.

Naturally, my stomach did a flip flop. Would I ever get through a night with Jake without being assaulted by butterflies?

We devoured our meals at the Sweet Retreat and pulled into the drive-in, just as the sun was beginning to set in the west.

"Have you ever been here before?" Jake asked.

I nodded my head. "We used to come here a lot when I was a kid. I  loved it," I said, reflecting on the happy memories. "It always felt like a special treat."

"I've never been to a drive-in before," he confessed. "Would you like some popcorn?"

"Sure. What's a movie without popcorn, right?"

I stayed in the truck as he left to get popcorn and drinks. Pulling a small mirror out of my purse, I ran my fingers through my wind blown hair and reapplied some lip gloss. My stomach felt a little nervous. I knew tonight might be a changing point in our budding relationship. Not that I had plans of taking things too far--I meant what I'd said to my mom earlier about not giving into anything before I was ready. But I knew our relationship would undoubtedly progress a little, and I was okay with that.

He arrived back to the truck just as the movie was starting. Placing the drinks in the cup holders and holding the popcorn in between us, he scooted a little closer and gave me a shy smile. I nervously wondered if he'd any expectations for the night.

We shared our snack and watched a couple of ads before Casablanca flickered to life on the screen. The black and white images danced before us and I gave Jake a look.

"It's in black and white?" I asked with uncertainty.

He softly chuckled. "Don't worry, Addison. You'll survive." He set the popcorn off to the side and shifted closer, putting his arm around me.

I snuggled up to him and tried to hide my apprehension. I could feel Jake's warm breath against my ear and turned slightly to look at him. His blue eyes gazed at me warmly and I suddenly felt very unsure of myself.

"Did you know that all blue eyed people are descended from one common ancestor who had a genetic mutation?" I blurted out.

Oh my God! What did I just say?

Jake gave me an amused smile. "Actually, I did know that."

He leaned in closer and looked at me, making me feel warm all over. "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."

"Wh--what?" I whispered, confused.

Suddenly, his lips met mine for a small kiss. Then he pulled back , as if to ask permission.

My heart rate quicken as I moved toward him, inviting his lips back to mine. Jake kissed me slowly, bringing his hand to the side of my face. I wrapped my arms around his neck, tangling one hand in the back of his hair— Casablanca a distant memory. I never did find out if Ilsa ended up with Rick.

Thank you for reading Strawberry Wine! If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote/comment. :)