Bonus Chapter 4: Jake's POV

My pickup moved down the gravel driveway, the wheels kicking up a cloud of dust as I glanced into the rearview mirror.

I rolled down the driver's side window to let in some fresh air, but the afternoon heat wasn't any cooler than what was already trapped inside. As I drove around the bend, a petite figure in a baby blue sundress came into view up ahead. With every step, her long brown ponytail swayed back and forth.

Addison Monroe. As pretty as a wildflower in the prairie, and the teenage granddaughter of my current boss. Her sandals hugged the edge of the driveway and she didn't bother looking behind her until my truck was on her heels.

"Need a lift?" I asked when her steely gray gaze met mine.

Silence stretched between us, and I could practically see the wheels spinning in her head as she contemplated my innocent offer. "I don't get into cars with strangers," she finally said.

As a look of satisfaction swept across her face, the corner of my lips lifted into a sluggish grin. "Well, I'm not a total stranger. You did offer me a drink this afternoon, remember?" I gave her a full-blown smile, the one that brought out the dimples most girls swooned over. "Thanks again for that, you came along just in the nick of time. It's awfully hot out today."

For a split second, I caught a look in her eyes, the kind that said my irresistible Texas manners had done their job and charmed her just the way I'd planned. But it didn't take long for that expression to morph into something else.

Her shoulders squared and she held my gaze with an impressive stubbornness I wasn't expecting. "You never even introduced yourself," she pointed out.

My eyebrows lifted in surprise. "I'm sorry, ma'am." I added just a touch more southern twang than I considered natural. "My name is Jake Grady, and I am pleased to make your acquaintance." I tipped the brim of my hat in her direction. "May I offer you a ride?"

Her eyes fixed on me, and she studied my every move with such intensity I started to question my appearance. After working all day in the scorching Georgia sun, maybe I wasn't up to my usual standard. The girls back home favored the rugged look, but maybe Addison wasn't like most girls—even if she had grown up on a family farm. But then her chest rose in a hesitant breath and she curved around the front of the truck before opening the passenger door.

As she climbed inside, her gaze roamed over every last inch of the cab. Luckily, I was a stickler for keeping things tidy—even if my pickup was almost as old as the two of us put together. The condition must have earned her seal of approval because when she finished her inspection, she turned to me and smiled. "You know, I really don't need a ride. I just live next door."

Her father, Carl, worked on the farm, too, and he mentioned their close proximity earlier when we were working in the field. But now that she was in my truck, I really hoped I wouldn't have to take her home. At least, not right away.

"I know where you live, Addison." I gave her name a slight enunciation, letting her know I had no intention of calling her Addy. Not ever. That was a name meant for a little girl. "I'm actually in the mood for some ice cream, and I was wondering if you'd be interested in helping the new guy find his way around town?"

Her eyes widened in disbelief. "Are you asking me out?"

I couldn't help but laugh as she gaped at me like I'd just grown a second head. "I guess I was wondering if you'd like to get some ice cream. I promise, you won't need to clarify when I ask you out."

Somehow, her eyes grew even wider. She shifted to stare out the windshield, her gaze pinned to the driveway ahead. "Sure, I'll show you where to go for ice cream," she said, sneaking a peek at me from the corner of her eye.