23. Casual, But Really Good - Cora

Start from the beginning

"Alright. Jay's driving separately, though. Said he doesn't want to share a car with us because we're grossly cute. His words. Tell Elle for me, would you?"

I chuckled. I was proud of E matchmaking skills and told him I would, said bye, and ended the call.

I just started up the stairs when I heard Elle crying. Immediately, my slouching climb became the rushed ascent of a madwoman. "Elle?" I called. "Elle, what's wrong?"

I shouldered my bedroom door open and was presented with the image of Elle sat on the edge of my bed, face in hands, sobbing.

My usually nonexistent mothering instincts kicked in, and I settled in beside her. "Mon amie, what's wrong? Tell me what's bothering you, Elle."

She shook her head and took a shuddering breath. "I'm- I'm so sorry!" she gasped out. "I should've never said those things to you last night!"

I chuckled quietly to myself. If only she knew how little I cared about our fight last night. Then I realized that she could know that. "Elle," I said, "I don't care about that. At least, I don't when your mom could be in trouble." I mentally grimaced as I realized I quoted Theo. Oops.

Elle peeked doubtfully up at me through her wet eyelashes. "No, seriously," I told her. "I really don't care. We're sisters. Sisters fight, but they're still sisters."

I saw a shaky smile make its way through the tears. "Sisters," she mused. "Yeah. I like that."

Next was the part I was really dreading. "And about your mom..."

Elle shook her head like a wet dog. "No. Not right now. I'll deal with her later, but I don't want to think about it right now. I want to think of tonight and this supposed amazing boy I'm going to meet."

I sighed. Elle was stubborn to say the least. I was the only one who knew how much her mom's sleeping around and drinking affected her. Sure, the kids at school knew about it. I mean, Stacy had slept with pretty much all of the single fathers and at least half of the married fathers of the kids in school, and to protect herself, Elle always somehow managed to laugh it off in some way or another. I was the only one that saw things like last night. The first-hand glance into what Stacy was really like drunk and how much it hurt Elle to hear her mom's voice, once lovely and full of life, slur out almost unintelligibly, "Ellie," a nickname Elle has never gone by.

How many nights had Elle stayed at my house because she knew her mom was out doing God knows what with God knows who and she hated to be left alone in such a big, empty, and cold house. I usually was in a similar situation with the house and so having company suited both of us just fine.

I dropped the subject. "Alright. So, we have..." I checked the clock again: 11:50. "About six hours before the boys are coming to get us. Movie and ice cream before we get ready?"

I've known Elle for a long time, but I don't think I ever saw her do an emotional 180 that quickly. Her jaw gaped open at me like I'd suggested we try growing a third arm out our foreheads instead. "What did I say?" I asked.

"WE ONLY HAVE SIX HOURS TO GET READY?!" she practically tackled me trying to get out of bed fast enough.

I nodded slowly, still trying to piece together why this particular piece of news was so important. "Yeah. I figured that was plenty enough time."

Elle shook her head slowly and sadly at me. "You have so much to learn, bitch. Most of these six hours we are going to use to figure out what all our outfits are going to consist of, then we put them on. Simple as that."

"I'm not gonna get any TV time, am I?

"'Fraid not."

I sighed again, but this time grinned at my bestie. "Where do we start?"