Chris and Ann

Ann threw open the door and walked in, slamming a 20 dollar bill on the counter, startling the young girl working register. "How do I passive-aggressively say 'f*** you' in flower language?"

Wide eyed, the girl held up a finger and walked away towards the back of the store. Ann could hear a muffled conversation and the excited cry of, "FINALLY! MY TIME HAS COME!!"

The man who appeared from the back was not the kind of guy Ann had expected to see in a flower shop but she could roll with the unexpected. He was tall, much taller than her and she was about 5'9" and wearing 3 inch heels. Fit, muscular, chiseled features, a dreamboat really. And this dreamboat of a guy was wearing black framed glasses and geeking out over flowers.

She liked him already.

She liked him even more as soon as he spoke. "What was it you needed said again?"

"F*** you," she deadpanned but broke the serious facade seconds later with a sadistic smirk and a dangerous glint in her eyes.

"Awesome! So, we'll start with geraniums over here, those stand for stupidity. Foxglove for insincerity, meadowsweet for uselessness, yellow carnations for 'you have disappointed me', and orange lilies for hatred. It's very striking! Flower language is a very beautiful thing."

Ann watched the guy and her heart skipped a beat. No, she thought, you are a tough, cold-hearted CEO, you aren't allowed to have feelings. But her heart reasoned differently. But you're also a single, 24 year old woman who has always dreamed of finding her prince charming. What if this is him? She sighed internally as she followed the vibrant man around the shop, collecting flowers for the bouquet. When he handed her the flowers all wrapped up and ready to go with the little note card that held her message for the recipient of the flowers, she was considerably more reserved than when she had first walked in. She let out a very quiet, "Thank you."

"It's my pleasure, I assure you. Please do come back and let me know how it goes. I've been waiting for this day since I first went into the floral business!" He gave her such a sincere and joyous smile, her heart stopped altogether.

"Yeah, I'll come by tomorrow and let you know how it goes," she replied, praying her voice wasn't as shaky as she thought it was.

"Great!" His smile grew. "See you then!" He waved at her as she walked out of his shop, letting out a huge breath once she had disappeared from view.

The girl from earlier popped out from the back of the store. "Hey Chris, how'd it go with your soulmate."

"She's not my soulmate Sam, shut up." Chris threw the red rubber ball towards where she was standing. The last thing he heard before she closed the door was her manic laughter.

When Ann walked into her office, she found her mother sitting in her chair. "Get out of my chair," she bit out through clenched teeth.

"Darling, it was my chair first. Do get over yourself." Her mother laughed fakely.

"No, mother, I will not get over myself and you will get out of my chair. You are no longer welcome here. My dad left this company to me which means you are no longer allowed to be here, your say is no longer welcome here, and you no longer have any claim over this office. If you don't remove yourself, I will call someone who will remove you for me." She paused, an idea popping into her head. "Look at me," she started. "I'm the captain now."

Her mother stood up stiffly and walked around the desk, looking straight into her daughter's eyes. "I hope the company crashes and burns under you." She looked away and walked towards the door of the office.

"Oh and mother?"

"What?"

"These are for you."

The older woman took the flowers, read the card, and dropped the bouquet, storming out in a rage.

The next day, Ann practically ran to the flower shop. The girl from the front desk was back again, not as alarmed this time. Both women broke into grins at the sight of each other.

"I never introduced myself yesterday. I'm Ann Bailey." She stuck out a hand.

"Samantha Abernathy. You can call me Sam." The two shook hands and Sam headed into the back to grab her coworker for Ann.

"Ann, this is Chris. He actually owns the shop."

"It was our grandfather's but he said he was too old so he handed it over to me. I never knew it could be so stressful running a business." Chris rubbed the back of his neck and smiled at the girl he had just met yesterday.

"Oh man, you're telling me. When my dad died, he left his company to me and it's been super stressful these past 2 years. I just got rid of one of my main problems yesterday though, thanks to your beautiful flower arrangement. It's actually sitting in a vase on my desk now!" Ann laughed and shook her head. "The bouquet was for my mother. Well, stepmother is more accurate but I was never allowed to call her that. Anyways, she was constantly bossing my employees around, acting as if she owned the place. I got fed up with her two days ago and that's why I came in yesterday. I've had enough of that horrible woman to last me a lifetime. So, I kicked her out of the building. Ha, and the look on her face when she read the card on the flowers was priceless. She was so mad. It's nice to get rid of her but getting rid of her has left me with one problem. The company is hosting this gala for a new artist and now we no longer have food caterers or anyone to do the flower arrangements. I was wondering if you guys would be interested in a partnership with my company?"

"Well, I'm not opposed to that. What about you Sam, thoughts?" Chris looked down to the younger girl.

"I think that'd be cool," she answered. Then, turning to Ann, "What was the name of your company again."

"Bailey's Arts and Recs." Ann fidgeted in place, looking away from the stunned faces of the two florists.

"Wait, you're that Bailey?" Sam was the first to come out of the stupor.

Ann simply nodded.

"Dude, that's insane. Our mom works there! Diane Spencer?"

"I love Diane! She is an absolute role model. She always been in charge of logistics in the company so I'm actually going to talk to her about promoting her to Company President later today. I'm in the middle of reconstructing the high-ups and rehiring people my stepmother fired without my permission or knowledge. Also, if it wasn't clear, you guys are always welcome to come with your mom to any of the events. Whether you partner with us for floral matters or not." Ann giggled. "Diane really is a gem though."

"We'd love to partner with you guys. Now, what were you thinking for the floral arrangements?"

Ann leaned towards Chris with a conspiratorial smile. "Well, I was wondering..."

<><><><><><><><><><>

Tada?

Much love!!!

~Lyd~