03| Vagary

0 3

V a g a r y

(n.) an unpredictable instance, a wandering journey; a whimsical, wild, or unusual idea, desire, or action.

☆☆☆

Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and redeeming it.

– Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

☆☆☆

Rose didn't know how to handle herself.

Right after she found out that Scorpius was her Potions partner, the small smile on her lips never seemed to leave. It was ridiculous, because it was just a random pairing that Professor Slughorn managed by drawing chit-chit cards, but for some reason, it just made Rose so happy.

Clearly she was overthinking the whole thing, because the rest of the Gryffindor sixth years barely commented on their Slytherin Potion partners, and those who did comment on their Slytherin partners did it with scowls on their faces.

Roxanne was gingerly seated next to Rose in the Great Hall, munching on some Sheppard's pie. "So," she said, chewing her food, "I've been hearing about the sixth year Gryffindors pairing up with the Slytherins for Potions all day." She rolled her eyes, annoyed. "Please tell me you're not going to ruin my dinner by complaining about your partner, are you?"

Rose shook her head, taking a bite of her roast beef. "No, I'm actually very delighted with my partner."

Roxanne's eyes glimmered. "Who is it?"

Rose chewed on some of her salad. "Scorpius Malfoy."

Roxanne grinned. "Oh the Scorpius Malfoy," She slurped down some pumpkin juice, winking at Rose. "Have fun."

"It's going to be strictly academic," Rose replied defensively, clearing her throat when she felt her cheeks burn. "Nothing more."

"Sure," Roxanne replied, still grinning, "whatever you say."

"Is it that hard to believe?" Rose asked, an edge to her voice. "I mean come on Roxy, do you really think Scorpius would – would –"

"Of course, I bloody would," Roxanne replied, giving Rose a face. "For someone with your brains, you're really daft Rose."

"Because of what?"

"Figure it out for yourself," Roxanne said, grinning.

☆☆☆

"You're being rather annoying this morning, Rose," Albus snickered, rubbing his eyes with the pad of his thumb. "Scorpius and I aren't even that late."

Scorpius' eyes glimmered grey today, as though the morning mist softened his irises. "Albus, it's almost eleven o'clock." Rose snapped, her hands flying in the hair in anger.

"Then what are you doing scolding us? You should be in class as well."

Rose gritted her teeth. "I'm a Prefect – I am supposed to be monitoring the halls."

Scropius' smile was pencil soft, and it made his eyes seem almost hazy. Rose had to count to seventeen to get her heartbeat back to normal. "Sorry Rose," he said quietly, yawning. It was only then that Rose noticed the dark circles under his eyes and the slight stubble lining his jaw. "It won't happen again."