Chapter Eight

The next morning was... heavenly. We just laid there in his bed, talking like we did back when we first met. As cliché as it sounds, as I was laying there in his arms, it felt like I was falling in love with him all over again. I was remembering so many things about him and finding out so many new ones and I just felt like I needed to protect him no matter what.

"I love you." I whispered after we'd been in silence for a few minutes.

He didn't say anything so I turned around, facing him and placed a hand on his chest.

"I love you." I said again, louder. A smile spread across his face.

"And I love you." he pulled me in and kissed me but of course the moment was ruined by Dave's phone ringing.

He leaned over and picked it up, answering the phone.

"Hello?... Yes..." my own phone then started ringing and I leaned down the side of the bed to pick it up.

"What d'you want, Mindy?" I asked, trying to show her how annoyed I was.

"We've got something." my eyebrows knitted.

"Something, you mean..."

"D'Amico something." I looked over at Dave who'd hung up and was just watching me which sounds a lot creepier than it is.

"Do I have to come right now?"

"Yes. Right now." I sighed.

"Fine. See you soon." I hung up the phone and laid back on the bed, arms over my face.

"What?"

"Mindy needs help with homework." I moved my arms.

"At 10AM?" nodding, I sat up.

"It's due in tomorrow and it's some huge project." he nodded.

"Well, I have to go anyway. Todd and Marty want me to meet them." I slumped over, putting my head in my hands.

"This is not how I thought my week would be going." Dave moved my hands and placed a hand on my chin, moving my head so I was facing him.

"I think they can wait a while." he said before leaning in.

I got home around an hour later and walked in the door only to have Mindy push me back out.

"What are you-?"

"Dave's here." I immediately closed the door.

"What? Why's he at our house?" I whispered.

"Daddy thought it would be a good idea."

"Does he want us to be fucking exposed?" at that moment the door opened and there stood Dave, immediately looking confused.

"Dave!" I said, acting surprised. "This doesn't look like Todd's."

"Yeah - I, uh - what are you doing here?" he asked me, quickly changing the subject.

"I was just looking for... Violet but she isn't here."

"Who's-?" Mindy cut him off.

"My sister. She's not home." Dave nodded.

"Okay, well I'm gonna go."

"Okay, I'm waiting here until she gets home." he glanced at Mindy before nodding. "Have fun with Todd."

He turned around and left and I immediately went inside.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yelled at Dad.

"What?"

"What do you mean 'what'? Are you trying to give away our identities?"

"Well, he's your boyfriend. I thought you wanted to share everything with him." I held up my hands with shock and anger.

"Not about this! Not about this life! I keep him out of it as much as I can, Ive separated him from this because it's meant to be a fucking secret!" he just stared at me blankly.

"Listen, Skylar, somebody at D'Amico's found out who you were. They found us because of you." my jaw dropped.

"Me? What did I do?"

"They tracked you from school and found out all of your records and that I'm your dad and Mindy is your sister and they know who we are."

"So why did you tell Dave?" Mindy walked over.

"He thinks if they know then Dave should know."

"I cannot even believe you right now."

"We wouldn't be in this mess if it weren't for you." I breathed out a frustrated laugh.

"We wouldn't have this life if it wasn't for you and your crazy obsession with D'Amico!"

"That is enough. You know what that man has done to us. He ruined our lives!"

"No, Dad. He did something bad, yeah, but you let it spiral this much and you let this become our lives. It's on you that Mindy barely had a childhood and that I go to school for an escape from all of this. You did that, not D'Amico." I didn't say anything else, I just went to my room with Mindy following me.

I sat on my bed for a few seconds before I started crying. Mindy sat next to me and hugged me.

"I'm sorry, Mindy, I'm so sorry." I said through my sniffles.

"What for?"

"I'm your big sister, I'm meant to protect you, I shouldn't have let him drag you into this like he did with me." she shrugged and I sighed, putting my head in my hands. "I'm going to have to tell him. I'll have to. He's going to find out some way, probably best it comes from me. I cant fucking believe this, right after we just made up."

I pulled out my phone and emailed him, telling him to meet me (not the real me) in 30 minutes at the docks. I changed into my outfit and left.

The entire way my mind was racing with what to say and how to say it and especially the way he's going to react.

I got there ten minutes early and started going over it in my head. It didn't last long though as he was also early.

"Oh, you're here already, hi." he said awkwardly and I took a deep breath.

"So, you know how my Dad told you who we are?" he nodded.

"Yeah, your name's Violet, right?" I sighed.

"I need you to not freak out and I need you to stay and listen to me, okay?" he nodded slowly.

"Why would I freak out?" I took a deep breath before taking off my mask.

my uploads are absolutely abysmal I am SO SORRY