Chapter 30

I sit looking out over crashing waves, hands trembling in my lap, legs crossed and squeezed tightly together. The hard box wired to my mic digs into my back as I lean against a small wooden bench, and although I look out over the ocean, the stare of all 4 cameras on me is quite palpable. Wind whips through my hair violently and I hope this distracts from the way my chest is rising and falling at an alarming rate.

I chose to go on my final date with Harry today. If Astrid was not out to get me, Harry and I would embark on this final outing together, have dinner, and then decide if we wanted to spend the night with each other in the 'fantasy suite'. Of course we would choose to spend the night with each other. In the morning we would wake up in each other's arms, probably order breakfast to the room, and depart with a long kiss. I would feel assured in our relationship and would still be reeling from the night we spent together.

Of course, all of that will not happen. Although I have blackmailed Luke into keeping Astrid's mouth shut for the time being, there is absolutely nothing for me to go off of. I do not trust Luke, and I am certain he does not trust me. Although I know the threat of losing his job should get him to cooperate, I don't actually know if it will.

Even so, I am on my date with Harry today against Astrid's wishes. If Luke follows the procedure I laid out for him, I may have a slight chance of undermining Astrid and staying with Harry. If Luke does not, then I have less then 24 hours left with the man I have come to like so much. As soon as Astrid gets word of whether or not I went on my date, if Luke has failed, I expect I will not get further than the end of dinner.

Another 5 minutes passes as I anxiously fidget on the stupid bench. The crashing of the waves and the loud squawking of seagulls overhead has become annoying rather than relaxing. I'm sure anything would seem annoying to a person in my situation. I'm being overstimulated- all I want to think about is the possibility of staying with Harry, but I have other things on my plate- I have to shoot an entire date today. I'm really not sure if I can pull it off.

After what seems like a lifetime, I feel two strong hands come to rest on either of my shoulders- Harry's signature greeting. I take another deep breath, preparing myself, and then turn jubilantly. I let my face light with surprise when I see the beautiful man standing behind me, as if I didn't already know it was him, and then jump up and engulf him in a hug across the back of the bench.

I feel Harry chuckle against me and notice a twinge in my heart. How many more of those sweet laughs am I going to hear after this day passes?

"Hello, lovely!" Harry is forced to shout over the wind. I find after he's bent down to place a peck to my lips he's walking around to the other side of the bench. I throw myself into his arms again. His warmth is reassuring, and I'm also keen to hide my face from the cameras.

The problem is I have to act as if nothing is wrong. Right now, I'm supposed to be the happiest girl in the world, hopped up on love and the prospect of a future with Harry. I don't think I'm going to be able to act like that. No matter how good of a liar I am, these circumstances are on a different level.

"Hi handsome." I respond with a sort of pet name that I've created for Harry. I don't know if I can consider it super creative- it's really just an observation- but I think it works fine. Especially for the cameras.

"Welcome to Jamaica!" Harry beams, gesturing out to the ocean and waving his hand dramatically. I stifle a fake laugh and clap my hands together with glee.

"Isn't it beautiful?!" I exclaim, acting a little too overjoyed. Harry senses this. I see his eyebrow quirk in surprise. He can tell that I'm putting an extra effort into pretending everything is fine.