deceive

deceive (vb)- cause to believe something that is not true.

the next morning / duke's pov

I awakened with my arms splayed out on either side of me in pools of blood. My blazer was soggy. I reached down and patted the sodden fabric. Red stained my fingers. I let out a hacking cough and sat up. I let my back rest against the side of my bed. I pulled off the jacket and unbuttoned the solid white undershirt. Looking down past my bra, I examined the skinny yet deep cuts down my lower sides. I didn't recall doing it to myself. I checked my wrists. Caked with more dried blood.

I pushed the flats of my palms on the floor to boost myself up. A few of my cuts reopened, squirting more bright red. A dim light seeped through my curtains. I found my way to my lamp and flicked it on. Blood was on my bed and in miscellaneous spots on my carpet. I'd clean them up later. I searched my open bedside drawer until I found a roll of gauze. Unraveling it, I haphazardly wrapped my arms in the thin material. I exhaled, shattering the silence of my empty household. I plastered some more gauze on my sides and used medical tape to secure them.

My bare feet slapped on the tiles of the floor as I carried my soiled shirts to the washing machine. I tossed them in and turned the dial. I dropped a tide pod in and slammed the lid shut, returning to my room. My head pounded like someone had hit it with a hammer but I pushed away the pain.

I changed into an identical blazer and slid my heels on. I glanced at the time. 5:00. Moving on to the kitchen, I snatched a protein bar and my backpack. I stepped outside and locked the door behind me. In the early-morning light I hopped in my Jeep and started it up.

It took about seven minutes to arrive at the cemetery. I parked the vehicle and let my backpack on the floor. A light beeping sounded as I left the door open. The only noise was my footsteps on dead leaves as I walked the length of the clearing to the two unmoving bodies at the other side.

// narration pov

Kurt woke first, emitting a groan as the hangover immediately ravaged him. He was met with the face of Heather Duke as he stumbled to his feet. He felt a cold hand on his leg as Ram used him to pull himself up. His best friend blinked, scrunching up his face.

"Heather? What happened?" Heather Duke remained expressionless. As attractive as she was to the boys, she was clearly unkempt. Sunken-in face without makeup, lips pressed in a thin line, eyes ringed with purple flesh. Kurt and Ram looked at one another. They were both completely naked, their clothing scattered a few feet away.

"Do you remember last night?" she queried slowly. She already knew the answer. Ram shook his head.

"Nope," they said in sync.

"...What if I told you you had a little three-way with Veronica?" Ram and Kurt gaped.

"We did?" Kurt breathed, amazed. Duke nodded. "She let us?" Ram added quizzically. Duke nodded again.

"How?"

"Swordfight," Duke spoke with a smirk. With that, she turned and walked away, preventing any more questioning. The Jeep pulled away and the two jocks checked themselves out. Kurt had a few marks down his neck and chest. Ram was sore in a few spots. Both boys bore proof of sex, which Heather Duke hadn't paid attention to. What neither of them remembered was that it wasn't Veronica they'd done it with.

It was each other.