shelter

shelter (vb)- protect or shield from something harmful.

same day / mcnamara's pov

We drove ourselves to the nearest McDonalds, grabbed some to go, and parked at our favorite spot. I took a sip of my milkshake and eyed Heather before turning back to the view. The Jeep was stopped a few feet from the edge of a cliff that overlooked the lake that our town had. It was a good twelve feet down before it hit the water. The sun shined bright outside. The sky was a bright blue and fluffy clouds drifted by. It was nice and made me smile.

I felt Heather wrap her fingers in mine. I turned and she kissed my cheek. My heart fluttered, as it always did when she did things like that.

"I love you," I said softly to her. She stared ahead thoughtfully.

"Have I ever told you how adorable you are?" she asked me. Warmth spread across my face. I shrugged, pinching a French fry between my fingers and eating it. I secretly checked to see how much she was consuming.

// duke's pov

I took the last bite of my remaining McNugget and reclined my seat a bit. A few minutes later, I felt my stomach do an unexpected backflip. I could feel bile rising in my throat. I sat upright, covering my mouth with my palm. D*mnit, don't puke now! I felt the food shove itself at my ribs. Sh*t. Heather gave me a concerned look. My stomach rolled again. I was worrying her... I didn't want her to be upset. She was weak. She couldn't handle it. I pulled the door handle and stumbled outside to the cluster of bushes lining the edge of the forest. I bent over and heaved, removing any trace of food from my stomach. I puked until all I could do was spit up saliva.

A sickening realization washed over me. I hadn't made myself hurl. The blood drained from my face. I shook it off and returned to my seat in the Jeep. I searched Heather's face for any emotion. She was staring at her lap. Her bottom lip quivered. F*ck... I prayed she wasn't upset for whatever reason. I held her hand and we sat in silence for a few hours.

Heather McNamara's POV

"Heather... why did you get implants..?" I whispered. I already knew the answer, though. She didn't reply.

"...I didn't really have boobs." Her reply was vague. She was lying to me, I could tell. I may pay nerds to do my homework, but I'm not that dumb. My eyes stung. Chandler was getting to her. I gripped her hand tighter.

"Heather, look, don't worry. Look at me." She gently pulled my face toward her.

"I'll be fine," she murmured, kissing my lips. I kissed her back, shoving away the dark truths lurking in my mind. I pulled away, staring into her dark brown eyes. Apparently my face gave away what I was thinking about because the next thing I knew Heather was pinning me on the seat.