Learning New Things

Start from the beginning

The delivery man peeked over Dean's shoulders, as if he was holding Opal hostage in that very room. When he saw nothing suspicious, he conceded. "Alright. Sign here, here, here and here."

Dean raised his brow as he took a closer look at the clipboard, trying to follow the man's exact instructions. The fact that the man was still scouring the room sceptically wasn't making it any easier.

"Something is wrong." Opal whispered, suddenly seemingly very pale.

"What? What's wrong?" Natasha shifted closer to her so that pitch could be maintained as low as possible. Opal's eyes were wide with terror. "All deliveries are taken at the reception, scanned and then sent to me at the end of the day. That man is not who he says he is."

The cupboard was full of silence again when a sickening thud resonated across the room. An unconscious Dean lay by the tiny delivery man's feet, a nasty bruise beginning to form on the side of his face.

On the other hand, the delivery man looked a lot more menacing, with a content smile on his face complementing his jet black eyes. He carelessly dropped the heavy vase he had used to inflict the wound on Dean and strolled further into the room, beckoning in a singsong voice.

"Opal, I'm here. Come out, come out, wherever you are."

-

Sam didn't have a lot to do and Dean wasn't there to give him company, so he had decided to take a leisure walk around the tower. That was when he spotted you, neck deep in files and paperwork, rubbing your palms over your face. "What are you doing?" He suppressed a laugh.

You peeked at him through your fingers. "Someone needed to be learned on both sides to run this case smoothly and since I have the most exquisite brain out of all of you, I decided to take one for the team."

"Wow." Sam sat down next to you, "This is a lot." You stared at him, lost deep in thought as he rifled through some of the papers. The impending conversation hadn't been had yet and the longer you stalled it, the more difficult it was going to get. Throwing all caution to the wind, you put your question forward. "Are you still mad at me?"

Sam's hands left the papers like they were fire. "No, Mai-... (Y/N), I could never be mad at you. I mean, after everything that's happened, you'd think I would be but eminently, I'm not. The guilt of keeping your past from you has been eating away at me for a while now."

Your face lit up with a smile. Sam had always been patient and understanding, like a balm to your nerves - in times of anger and anxiety alike. However, he wasn't the only variable in the equation. "What about Dean?"

"That could be a little touch and go." Sam pursed his lips, "But he'll come around. He loves you just as much as I do, probably more."

He extended his arms out with such naiveté that you couldn't stop yourself from settling into them, wrapping your own arms around his torso and squeezing tight. It was like hugging a giant teddy bear - a giant ripped teddy bear, but a teddy bear all the same.

-

The cupboard was never a sound place to hide. Natasha had only taken Clint and Opal in there on the prerequisite that Dean would be on the lookout for any potential threat and deter it before it came their way but now that he was no longer mentally present in the room, the danger was outstanding.

"You know, this wasn't as difficult with the others. Mostly because they weren't warned, but all that is immaterial. Now that I'm here," The demon looked around the room in mere pretense. He could practically hear the breathing inside the cupboard. Crouching down in front of it, he opened the door in one swift motion, "It's on."

The first thing Natasha saw were jet black eyes. Pulling her knees to her chest she channelled the entire momentum into jutting her feet into the demon's chest, kicking him away. She crawled out of the cupboard, taking Opal with her and made a run for the door while Clint shot at the demon to keep it down.

The act angered the entity even further. He launched Clint across the room, making him land right next to Dean. He then headed for Opal and grabbed her by the hair, very content with the achievement. Using her quick wit, Natasha thrust herself between the two of them and landed a solid punch on the demon's throat, disorientating it for a good moment.

"Clint? A little help?" She called when she saw the demon gaining on her. Clint sat up, jerking his head to rid himself of the double vision. "How? That thing doesn't take bullets!"

"Then use something else."

"Like what?"

"I DON'T KNOW, MAYBE THE KNIFE DEAN WAS HOLDING UP!"

"Oh right." A lightbulb went off in Clint's head. He had a little trouble rolling Dean off his back on account of his large frame, but once he did, he immediately pulled the blade from his belt.

"Natasha Romanoff....I've heard about you." The demon grabbed Natasha by the neck and lifted her a couple inches off the ground. "Killing you would be asinine. I could use you; you have a very specific skill set that would be mighty efficient."

The sheer horror in his best friend's eyes fuelled Clint to drive the blade into the demon's back. Its body glowed with several copper lines before it fell limply to the ground rendering Natasha gasping for air.

Opal was a perspiring mess, her eyes darting between the bloody knife in Clint's hand and the corpse lying on the floor. Clint moved the weapon away from her sight when he sensed the fear. "You believe us now?"

A shaky nod was all Opal had to offer.