You Are My Sunshine (Bonus Chapter)

"You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away."

I watched Nick, his body bent over a crib, doing his nightly routine to our baby. He had a beautiful voice and our baby loved it just as much as I did.

This song held so many memories and now it held so much more.

"The other night, dear
As I lay sleeping
I dreamt I held you in my arms
When I awoke, dear
I was mistaken
And I hung my head and cried."

I leaned against the threshold of the door and watched intently to the scene before me. These memories were the ones that would live with me forever.

And even though it was meant to be bed time, our daughter giggled at her daddy's voice and I couldn't stand there any longer, I had to go and see them.

"She's meant to be sleeping." I said quietly, a smile prominent on my face.

"She will be asleep in a minute, won't you, Angel?" He stroked the face of our little girl and she leaned in to his touch. "She's just like you, Cathy."

"Smitten by you?" I asked. That girl was definitely a daddy's girl and I was okay with that. I loved to watch them talk- well, Nick talked and she gargled. I loved to watch Nick push her pushchair when we visited her grandparents, the way he rocked her to sleep when she cried.

He was too good to her.

We had wanted a baby, of course, but Nick was so scared that he couldn't be a good dad. He was so scared that something would happen, something that would leave her all alone in the big wide world.

As soon as we both saw her face and her big blue eyes, we were done for. The worry was still there every single day but it was totally worth it. I'd worry all my life just to see her happy and I knew Nick felt the same.

"Come on, leave her sleep." Sometimes I had to pull Nick away from her. He was just so obsessed by her and he couldn't leave her alone. It was a chore trying to get him to go in to his own bed and sleep, when all he wanted to do was keep telling her bed time stories, singing to her, talking to her as if they were the only people in the room.

Nick stood up and with one last look at our daughter, he turned the light off, leaving the night light on she loved so much.

We made our way back downstairs. I had started making dinner for Nick as it was only seven o'clock.

"Something smells nice." He murmured as he wrapped one arm around my waist. I snuggled in to his chest in the kitchen.

"How's the paintings?" I asked him. Even now, many years on, he loved to paint. Nick did go to Univeristy after all, he did three whole years in art school and came out with a degree, being one of the best in his class.

I was so proud of him.

The degree got him so far and everybody in town loved his paintings. We saved up more money and soon, we rented out a little part of the local gallery which held all of his paintings inside.

The paintings that held his happiness were the ones everybody came to see. He made painting emotions look so easy.

"It's doing well." He beamed my way. Nick kissed me excitedly on the nose before grabbing the plates and cutlery from the drawers. He set up the table and I watched his body move.

My desire for him still hadn't gone.

When dinner was done, I plated it up and we both sat down to eat, opposite one another. I loved our free time together because we could act like we did before our daughter was born.