4.

4.

The place was extremely empty today, I didn't know why, yet,  I was grateful. I wasn't ready to converse with the public, not when my head was in the wrong place.

I couldn't get Nick off of my mind, especially after last night. I didn't know what happened but I had left his house way before he could get me into his bed.

I freaked out.

I moved back home, one, because I wanted to see my dad and two, because I had enough of men trying to take advantage of me at any given time; especially a certain man.

I shook my head. I needed to banish these thoughts.

There was no doubt in my mind that Nick was effecting me but I wasn't ready to give him everything just for me to be hit to the curb straight after. That wasn't me.

As soon as I had gotten to Nick's apartment, after a very steamy make out session in the back of a taxi, my heart was beating and anxiety decided to creep in. He got out of the taxi and I got back in. "I have to go, I'm sorry." I stated, and then I left him there on the curb with his hands in his pockets and the face of a man who was not going to get laid any time soon. Not by me anyway.

That was the last time I spoke to him or seen him since last night. I half expected him to walk in to the parlour today and demand another tattoo, or to demand a reason as to why I left him high and dry last night.

I was glad he didn't.

The phone rang and I picked it up. I was alone today working, dad said all I had to do was phone him and he'd be up to help. Today, however, I made him take a day for himself. He mumbled and grumbled but finally decided to take the day off.

The man on the other end of the phone booked an appointment for next week. He wanted half a sleeve on his arm which would cost quite a bit. As soon as the phone was put back into its cradle, I was bored and alone once again.

I could literally hear crickets cricketing the place was so dead. It was weird, dad said the place was always busy, and it was, I saw that, but some days the place was empty.

I was so excited when the clock hit four in the evening. With hardly anyone making appointments today and no customers I was happy to be locking up the place and going home.

As soon as I was home, I dumped my coat on a hanger and my other items in the bowl in the hall and made my way into the kitchen.

"Dad?" I shouted as I walked through the living room and on to the modern floor boards.

"I'm trying to make fried chicken." Glenn stood infront of the oven with the frier in his hands. He looked comical in his apron and perspiration on his brow.

"What the hell are you doing?" I laughed. The grease in the frier was sizzling to the top. He was struggling to control everything going on in the kitchen. He had never been the best cook.

"I just said what I'm trying to do." He replied as he wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. "Your mother used to make fried chicken. I thought I'd give it a go as we have company tonight." Glenn wasn't in love with my mother anymore but he looked up to her a lot, even if they didn't talk.

"Company?" I sat down on the barstool behind him. I turned around to keep an eye on his cooking.

"Just a few of the old pals." He stated. I sighed, old didn't mean Nick. I was grateful.