Chapter Twenty-Nine: Baby Talk

Start from the beginning

The girl had finally gone mad, Izzy thought. "Remember when we promised each other we would invite each other to our wedding?" she said softly. "How will I know where to find you?"

"Since I'm sure to be the first to get hitched, I'll write you with my address as soon as I settle down," Gloria said as confident as ever.

They both froze at the fast paced tapping of heels in the hall. "Don't say a word about this to anyone!" Gloria demanded.

Izzy sighed. There was no stopping her. "Good luck Gloria, please be careful."

With one last look, Gloria raced to the door that joined the rooms. Izzy listened to her exit through the back. Another contraction hit hard, turning her mind back towards her own predicament.

A few seconds later, Mara rushed through the door, her face flushed. Her nurse cap was awry atop her red hair. Her eyes were sharp as she surveyed the room, her thin jaw set tight. She shut the door behind her.

"Izzy, are you alright? I'm so sorry I was gone so long. Gosh, it's getting crazy up there right now. The doctor will be here in about ten minutes. How far apart are your contractions?"

Izzy winced. "It's happening right now. The last one was about ten minutes ago."

Mara pulled out a handkerchief and wiped her forehead. "Good, it isn't quite time yet." She sat down beside Izzy and took her hand. "Take a long deep breath through the pain, and blow it out in spurts. Concentrate on that and it will relieve the pain."

"Did Sister Martha tell them?" Izzy asked when the pain had subsided.

Mara squeezed her hand. "Sister Martha hasn't said a word. Rest your mind."

Izzy eyed her. "You said it was getting crazy. What's going on? Please tell me."

Mara sighed. "If it will help ease your mind. The police arrived. They're combing the beach, looking for Dottie. They've called the coastguard. Rescue boats will be coming soon." Her voice lowered further. "When they can't find her they'll assume she's drowned. There will be questions. Lots of questions." She paused, taking a deep breath as if to calm herself. "Now, let's focus on delivering this baby."

Izzy's heart raced. "How bad will it hurt?" she asked.

"The contractions will get stronger and closer together," Mara said. "The worst pain will be near the end, but it won't last as long as the rest. When it's over the worst of the pain will disappear."

"And so will the baby," Izzy said without thinking. Hearing the words out loud brought a flood of tears that she couldn't choke back. Stop it! Just stop it! her mind screamed, but it had no effect on her crumpling body. Her throat ached. The backs of her eyes stung.

When she'd wiped away the tears, she was surprised to find Mara's face wet as well. Something in the nurse's eyes drew her attention away from her own misery, if only for a brief moment.

"It must be hard to go through this over and over with all of the girls who come here," Izzy said. "I'm sure it's exhausting."

"It's very hard," said Mara. "For many reasons." She took a shaky breath before she spoke again. "We need to make a decision now. Do you want to see the baby when it's born?"

"No," said Izzy instantly, her voice cracking into a soft wine. "I don't want to see it." Her baby. Donnie's baby. She knew she couldn't bear to see its face, it would kill her.

Another contraction hit her stomach. She took a deep breath.

Mara checked her watch. "About seven minutes this time, they're getting closer together." She looked anxiously towards the door, then back to Izzy. "Oh, Izzy. It's important that you know you're doing the right thing," she said, when she could see the pain had subsided. "One day when you find the right guy, you'll marry and have a baby to love together. There are lots of couples who are ready right now for a baby, and they will make good parents for this baby."