Chapter 26 - Am I Losing You

Start from the beginning

"Johnny!  He's just a boy!" he heard the maid exclaim while he gritted his teeth to keep from making a sound.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you!" Blackwell shouted. 

While his cheek throbbed, Marty glared up at him, rage coursing through his body.  If his hands were free, Blackwell would have a broken nose right now. 

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" Blackwell demanded.

Marty's heart sped up, knowing it was over.  There was no way he was going to be able to escape, but that didn't mean he was going to give in.  Let the old man figure it out, he thought angrily while he continued to glare at him.

"Alright!  We'll see if the police can convince you to talk!" Blackwell growled, and he turned to head back to the house.

As Marty was dragged past the maid, she looked anguished, one hand covering her mouth, and he began to feel sick.  He was going to jail.  His freedom had vanished.  But what about Jess?  What was going to happen to her?  If Blackwell found out she'd been meeting with him, she'd be punished too, possibly beaten.  He couldn't let that happen.  He had to protect her.  It was all he could do now. 

While he was wrenched up the steps, Blackwell threw open the front door so hard it hit a wall.  He stalked inside and Marty was wrestled in behind him.

 "Oh, my goodness!  What happened?"  

It was Jess.  He'd never heard her sound that way before, her voice full of panic and fear, and he looked up.  She was halfway down an ornate staircase, holding onto the banister – and she was looking right at him. 

No, Jess, he thought desperately and realization came into her eyes as she understood what an awful mistake she'd just made. 

"Uncle Jonathon, what's going on?" she cried in the same voice, looking at old man Blackwell.

"I just caught this delinquent trespassing, that's what's going on!" Blackwell shouted as he headed to a small table where a telephone sat. 

Marty was relieved Blackwell hadn't noticed Jess had spoken to him, but he slumped, knowing what was coming.

"What's that piece of trash doing in our house?" 

Marty lifted his head to see Jess's smarmy cousin walking down the stairs.  Jess's face was livid as she rounded on him, but Marty didn't hear what she said because old man Blackwell bellowed, "Do you know that boy?" at the same time.

Instead of answering his father, Doug gaped at Jess. 

"Douglas!"

 "I, uh, I don't know him," Doug said, finally tearing his eyes away from Jess.  "I've seen him at school.  His dad's that drunk who works at the filling station outside of town."

"He does, does he?" Blackwell sneered to Marty with triumph as he reached for the telephone.  "That will make things much easier for the police." 

"You're calling the police?" Jess asked, her voice suddenly much higher, and Marty had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach, seeing the desperation in her face.  Don't do it, Jess. Don't give yourself away. 

"Am I supposed to just let him trespass on my property?" Blackwell shouted angrily as he picked up the receiver.  "Who knows what he was intending to do?  I'm going to make sure he's locked up for a long time!"

"Wait!" Jess cried, and Blackwell looked up at her sharply.  "Uncle Jonathon, I – I know him," she said, appearing as though she was about to cry.