Chapter 11 -Welcoming the Dawn

Start from the beginning

<Somewhere in a forest>

"This world will burn. But whether anyone survives is another story. I see Mare, lying unmoving on the ground, Tiberas Calore unmoving next to her. Everything is burning, including them. Cal's powers aren't working. A small girl walks through the flames and spots the two figures on the ground. She cries out, sinking to her knees. The flames flicker and die, the smoke vanishes. Now I see thousands of people lying on the ground. Scarlet Guard fighters and Silvers alike. The young girl, Althea straightens and screams before hurling a powerful blast of blue fire at figures that hide behind a metal wall. 

I will beat you you fucking bastards." And with that, she sets the world on fire"

I woke up delirious. Collecting my thoughts I felt the cool cloth pressed against my forehead. I was in a runaway camp living in the forest. They were calling me delirious from a fever.

But that future could be true.

It depends on a lot of things.

One step that Mare makes whilst fighting could change it.

What Tiberas Calore eats for dinner could change it.

The future is never sure.

Somewhere far away, thunder rumbles.

(Hmmmm guess who that was -love me)

*Cal's POV*

The Rift is not a happy place. Another broadcast was sent from the Scarlet Guard. They had Evangeline. At first Volo thought she had been kidnapped by them but she had gone willingly. He raged for hours. Her message at the end shook me in more than one way. Goddaughter? Mare had given my daughter godparents. However, thanks to Evangeline, we all now knew her name. Althea.

My daughter had a name. A mother. Godparents. Had she said her first word yet? Would Mare tell her who her father is? Would I ever get to meet my daughter?

I cried for hours that night. Why did I choose this? I could've chosen Mare. I could've chose for myself. But I was blinded by power. I thought I was a strong man, immune to the temptations of power but I am the opposite. 

Volo and Maven have sealed an alliance. They weren't going to make the information public because the Scarlet Guard would exploit it just like they had in the past. Volo had nearly caught Farley the other week. His angry descriptions of her were enough for me to figure out who she was. Apparently she had been snooping around looking for something. We don't know what and it's making everyone nervous.

Even though Volo tries to hide it, people are starting to figure out how good the Scarlet Guard are. How they easily slip through the cracks and how they are much much bigger than they were told.

Congratulations Mare. You win this round.

A stinging sensation overtook me. Fire. But Maven wasn't around. There were two streams of it snaking round the place. I heard a hissed "uh-oh". It was Mare's voice. Coming from the ceiling? The air vents. Of course.

I shook my head and I heard the screams start. People had noticed. I tried to put it out before Mare was caught but I had no control over it. I couldn't touch it. I heard Maven yell for everyone to get out. It seems he couldn't control it either. But why?

I jumped out of the window down to where I last saw Mare. She was stood there panting. There was some sort of contraption attached to her. And held against her chest within the contraption was a baby. Althea. And Mare was sweating heavily.

Althea's hands were glowing. Mare noticed I was there and bolted for it, hiding Althea's hands from me. I looped her in a ring of fire. She panicked and I could see her lips saying cuss words. A lot of them.

I stepped in it and leaned over my daughter. I kissed her forehead gently before turning to Mare. She was watching me warily but I was more confused as to why she wasn't using her lightning against me. Her eyes were full of water. But why? Her purple hair really did suit her.

"Why are Althea's hands glowing Mare?" She jumped, not expecting me too speak. No reply.

Rain fell from the sky suddenly. It came down hard and fast, drenching us all. But still the fire blazed strong enveloping the building. The entire thing was engulfed in flames. Mare caught a handful and wrapped Althea's hands in it.

The fire flickered and was extinguished. The smoke vanished. My fire faded. And so did Mare and Althea. The last thing I felt was metal wrapping around me before blackness overtook me.

*Mare POV*

I legged it with Evangeline cursing madly. He had seen.

And I didn't even get what I came for. However after that, I don't think I need it.

We kept our heads down and ran. 

An echo from the behind startled us. Volo was yelling. Footsteps crashed behind us and we were enveloped in light.

Ptolemus and Elane. They joined us without a word. I let them because I knew it wasn't safe for either of them to remain with Volo.

We made it back to the base and I blacked out. Again.

A/N So next chap we find out why Mare was at the Rift and why it isn't safe Elane and Ptolemus anymore. Also something about Althea is discovered. Oh and, I wonder why Cal and Maven couldn't control that fire? hahahahahahahaha

Who do you think the mysterious person in the forest was?

Until next time xx