Chapter 26

Ash's POV

"Prom King and Queen, seriously?" Sere groaned beside me.

The school Council President had announced that within half an hour, a Prom King and Prom Queen would be chosen. We all didn't know that there was such a competition. All the girls groaned and whined, complaining that they weren't ready or that they didn't knew so they wouldn't compete. But apparently, the school Council had answers to all their complaints. Until the results, we had the time to dance and enjoy. And of course, bite our nails to calm our nerves because anyone, ANYONE present in this room could be chose as the Prom King or Queen. Even the nerdiest boy to the famous queen-bee could be chosen. There wasn't any system such as voting here. This fact excited all. Even me. But not Sere.

She wouldn't dance and she ignored the line of boys standing in front of her, asking her hand for a dance.

Guys! If she rejected her boyfriend, do you think you would have a chance?

Never.

I stood beside her as she watched her sister dance and glide happily across the dance floor with Calem.

Oh how I wish, Sere would be like Mari.

"Hey Ash," she started. She turned her head and looked at me with her sparkling blue eyes. "Marina is happy, right?"

"I guess she is. Why are you asking?"

I can't breathe with her eyes burning into my soul like that.

"Do you think she needs me anymore?" Sere whispered and looked down.

Occasionally when Mari would look at us, Sere would wave and send her a small smile. But I knew Sere was worried.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"All these years I have been more of a brother to her than a sister. And this was only to protect her from bad guys. But that was when we were kids. We are growing up and soon we will go our separate ways, and we will not be together. I won't be there to protect her. In fact, she has Calem now. And Calem is surely going to do what I have done all these years- protect her. So, do you think she needs me now?" Sere's eyes were brimming with tears but she clenched her fist and bit her lip to prevent them from flowing.

She was not saying it. But she was scared. Scared of being abandoned from her sister. She loved her sister, Mari was her other half. She protected her and did everything for her. But she is scared to lose her. She did not want to admit it but she thought that Marina doesn't need her. She still wanted to be her over-protective sister. She still wanted to take that responsibility.

"Sere," I placed my hand on her shoulder. "Mari may have Calem but he won't be able to replace your place in her heart. He may be the one to be always with her from now on, but you are the one whom Marina will always remember. What you did for Marina, no one did that for her. Ever. You hold a special place in her heart- even if in a small corner, but that corner will be the most loved and cherished one by her."

Sere turned towards me, her eyes shining with tears as she held them in.

"It's alright to cry," I said and smiled at her.

She shook her head and giggled.

"I was stopping my tears from flowing because they would ruin my makeup."

My jaw dropped. Sere cared for her makeup. This was something new and so- girlish of her to say.

A month ago I would have been ecstatic to hear this. But now it seems so wrong.

"You applied makeup?" I blinked.

This was something I wanted before Sere dated Calem. I always wanted to see Sere in a dress, with makeup. I wanted to see her all dressed and girly. But after she started going out with Calem and started dressing like a girl, I realized something. I never wanted Sere to look like a chick ever again. I didn't want a girlish Sere. My tomboy Sere was the best. And she would always be.