He shuffled his feet reluctantly toward the table where John Cummings, legal eagle sat. He was shuffling papers trying to make himself busy. The paparazzo were having a field day from the gallery, their flashbulbs blinding not only Sawyer, but the judge. They hadn't missed a day in the short trial hoping to smear the tabloids with more garbage about him. He didn’t care. Let them. 

                Across from the defendants table sat the plaintiff. Guy's name was Dirk Chapman. Could have fooled Sawyer, guy looked more like a Dick Chapman. He was built like a brick wall and his 'broken' leg and beaten appearance was all for show. He wanted Sawyer's money. He’d just have to move to the end of the line.

                The trial didn't have a jury, just a judge. He'd thanked his lucky stars for that because she was a woman and therefore naturally inclined to be more compassionate. Besides, it's not like he'd robbed the guy. He was only dishing out exactly what the man deserved. If he hadn't been so nosy, no one would have gotten hurt.

                The same Bailiff who had a vice grip on Sawyer’s arm, cleared his throat. “Will the defendant please rise?”

                Sawyer stood tall, shooting a glance back to Lane, Robbie, Sebastian and Charlie. To Devin, he gave a reassuring wink. Her cast was more colorful that Dirk Chapman's and it boasted hundreds of signatures. He hadn’t signed it yet and had told her he was waiting for the right thing to say.

                “Sawyer Dean West,” the judge spoke.

                “Yes, your honor.”

                “I have reviewed your case and I think your actions were clearly admirable.”

                Sawyer gave her a megawatt smile, “thank you, Your Honor.”

                “There's no doubt in my mind that Mr. Chapman had only one objective in mind and that was to line his pockets with your money.”

                Bingo.

                Judge was one smart chick.

                Her glasses slid down her nose as she shuffled papers much like John Cummings was doing moments ago. “That being said, Mr. West, I find your criminal history rather hard to ignore.”

                He stifled a laugh.

                “Is something funny, Mr. West?”

                He wiped the grin off his face. “Not at all your Honor, I just think maybe criminal history coins me as a mugger, robber or worse. I am not those things.”

                “Let's see,” the judge said.

                Shit. He shouldn't have said anything, now she was irritated.

                “Let's review your run-ins with the law in the last year, shall we?”

                He tried to charm her. “It's all pretty fresh in my mind.”

                “Let's remind those who may have forgotten.”

                Well fine, she was going to play it like that. Not much he could do except look at his shoes.

                “There was an incident with a firearm.”

                “It was a pellet gun. A toy.”