Part Thirty-Eight

Little khaki pants, a plaid button-down, short sleeve shirt with a tiny tie. He's dressed to impress with the outfit Regina bought him specifically for this day. One hand is held firmly in between Ingrid's and the other is locked inside of Miss Matthews' as they walk in sync down the hall. The moment his eyes land upon them, he's tugging and yanking to be set free from the hands keeping him secure.

Miss Matthews is the first to release his hand. "My mommies!" Henry squeals as he attempts to wiggle his hand free from Ingrid's firm clutches.

The older woman's eyes drift up from the little boy to discover Regina and Emma patiently waiting with Mr. French. Ingrid pats Henry's hand before she releases him and keeps a very close eye on him. Henry's shoes squeak and echo through the building as he runs toward them at full speed. Emma bends down and scoops up the little boy into her arms in one swift motion. She holds him close, her heart beating recklessly against his while she attacks the side of his face with playful kisses.

"Sharing is caring, Em," Regina pouts as she holds her hands out for her little prince and Henry giggles in response as he leaps into her embrace. "Hi, my sweet boy. Have you been a brave little boy these past two days?"

Henry nods enthusiastically reminding Emma so much of when they first met him; a shy, quiet little boy with hardly any words. She smiles from ear to ear and brushes back some of his thick chestnut locks.

Miss Matthews and Ingrid soon approach them with warm smiles gracing their faces and it's enough to make Emma feel confident about this custody battle.

"I thought we were supposed to meet here at ten?" Emma asks Miss Matthews, suddenly feeling a little panicked that they messed up their time.

"Oh, no. You and Regina are right on time. They asked to speak with the child beforehand without any of the parties involved present. That way everything Henry says is from him and not because some told him to say it," the social worker carefully explains with a gentle smile in place.

"Was he okay? Was he nervous? Or scared?" Her girlfriend investigates in a rush as she rocks Henry closer to her chest.

Emma can tell Regina's horrified that he had to experience something like that at such a young age and especially without them, but hopefully this will all be over soon.

"He did wonderfully." Miss Matthews rests her hand on Regina's upper arm as her smile grows wider, expressing her comfort and support. "He really adores you two. You have nothing to worry about. The judge simply sat down with Henry while he played and asked him some questions regarding you two and his mother."

Emma and Regina both exhale rather loudly as they push out every fear and turmoil that's been possessing their exhausted bodies.

"Gina, look!" Henry gasps with his tiny finger pointing out toward the extravagant front doors of the building.

Regina and Emma both spin around abruptly to discover a rather large group of familiar faces dressed to impress and strutting confidently in as a united front. Emma's parents, Cora, Zelena, Ruby, Belle, Ellie, Killian and Robin, all approach with award winning smiles dancing across their faces. Emma glances over at her girlfriend to discover those dark eyes glossing over just like her own.

Regina sets the little boy down, who immediately stands between them and grabs hold of each of their hands.

"Wh-what are you guys all doing here?" Emma stutters, utterly dumbfounded as her eyes shift frantically around all the loving faces smiling back at them.

Her mother steps forward and gently cups her cheeks, her soft thumbs sweeping tenderly across her flushed skin.

"Did you honestly think we wouldn't show up to support you two during this time?"