Part Thirty-One

Her shoulder aches from the bag filled with books slinging over her shoulder and weighing her down. Even more books and files are piled in her left arm as she digs around her purse for her keys. She attempts to balance everything on one side as she slides the key into the door. She turns the knob, but of course, the door is jammed, yet again because this stupid door doesn't understand its purpose in life. She jiggles the key like Emma taught her and pushes all her weight against the heavy door.

She stumbles through the threshold, trying her best to keep everything in her hands while she groans inwardly as her shoulders and arms scream their protest from the heavy weight. She hazardously drops the bag from her arms and sets her books and files down on the front table. She wrestles her keys free and finally kicks the door shut out of anger.

"You alright over there?" She can distinctly hear her girlfriend's voice as if she is near, but her eyes must deceive her.

"Yeah, no need to help or anything..."

"Good, because I wasn't going to move," Emma states in her most convincing tone, but she knows her well enough to know when her childish girlfriend is teasing her.

Regina steps around their couch to find the blonde sitting crisscrossed on the floor like she's a kindergarten. Emma beams up at her with the biggest grin ever, but Regina's attention quickly flicks to the small child standing in front of her girlfriend.

The toddler is wiggling a toy in Emma's face, silently pleading for her attention while she's laughing in return. Regina's eyebrows furrow while she cocks her head to the side and attempts to comprehend what is occurring.

"Who is this?" She gently investigates, kicking off her heels and slowly approaching the duo playing in the living room.

"This, is our screaming neighbor...you know the one who cries at anytime of the day or night," she chuckles while the toddler gapes at her in confusion, but Emma is quick to distract him with her long fingers stretching out to tickle his pudgy tummy.

"That's you, huh?" Regina laughs lightly while she settles down next to her girlfriend. Emma automatically leans forward with her thin lips pursing for attention and she happily accepts the kiss. They keep the kiss short and sweet since they are in the presence of a child, but they are both smiling wide as they slowly pull away. "So, what's going on?"

Emma accepts the monkey that is dancing in her face while she shrugs her shoulder causally. "The mom just knocked on our door and said she needed a babysitter."

"She doesn't even know us," she blurts out while Emma sadly nods along.

"I know," her girlfriend sighs heavily and stares at the stuffed animal like he may have all the answers. "We have never even seen them before, and we have been here for two months now." She shakes out her wavy mane, appearing a little distraught by the thought. "Anyways, I couldn't say no."

"I wouldn't have been able to either," she reassures her, rubbing her hand up Emma's back to help soothe whatever anxiety she is feeling about this random situation. She can tell her girlfriend is holding back about something, she just doesn't know what yet and maybe that's because of their guest. Regina turns her attention to the little one standing in front of them, softening even more for his sake. "What's your name?"

"H-wee."

She stifles her giggle and glances at her girlfriend for some guidance. Emma smiles from ear to ear and leans forward, almost touching her nose with the toddler's.

"Hen-ry," she slowly draws out each syllable coaxing the little boy to copy her sounds.

"Heeeeeeen-weeeee," the little brunette reiterates, pushing his face closer into Emma's, ultimately pressing his tiny button nose into hers which persuades an adorable giggle to erupt from Emma's mouth before she reaches out to tickle the boy again.