Eyes

I carry the ugly yellow file into the check station. I have my white muscle shirt on with my dog tags hanging around my neck. My black boots squeak on the newly polished floor.

Station 2: Eye Check

Nurse Harper

I get in line, stand up straight and wait for the two guys in front of me to get their exam done.

"Sir, your eye sight isn't good enough for your application to flight school."

"Ma'am, please, let me retake it!"

"Sorry. Next!"

The guy that failed walks by me and one eye is going another way than the other. No wonder he didn't pass.

Everly was nervous about me entering for the Army, but our country needs some kick ass men.

*Two days ago*

"Grayson, I can't let you go!"

"I want to! It's been my dream since my father went in the Army." I hold her hand as we walk by the glistening lake.

"It's not fair. Young men like you shouldn't have to fight the country's war when you are only seventeen years old." She is right. It isn't fair.

Life isn't fair.

"Everly, look at me. I promise I will come back for you. When I get back, I'll have enough money to buy a ring and we can get married! It will be a couple of years, but I will always come back for you."

"I want to marry you now!"

"You're only sixteen, I'm seventeen. Wait till I get back. By that time, I will be twenty, so will you." I kiss her cheek and we stop by a tree.

It's flowers bloom on the ends of it's pointy branches. The flower is purple with white strokes.

I pick one, and put it behind Everly's ear.

"I want you back here in three years. No more or I will come and get you myself."

"You have always been stubborn, Ev." She jokingly slaps my arm. I start to chase her in the trees. I finally catch her, spin her around, then kiss her tender lips.

"Please come back. I'm gonna need you to take care of Kol." I stop and stare at her like she is insane.

"Who in the name of biscuit is Kol?"

"Yeah, well remember that night you took me out and we did it in the back of your pickup truck?"

My eyebrows furrow down, then I realize she is pregnant.

"You are pregnant...with my baby?"

"Yes! He is gonna need a daddy, so hurry and get back!"

* End of flashback*

"Next!" I step up the the nurse and hand her my file.

"Sergeant Collins. Ah, so you are going for the Army? I bet you'll do just fine." She eyes me a bit and that's when I blurt out,"I have to come back to my girl and my baby boy!"

The nurse acts like I'm a dog with rabbies.

"Oh, how sweet." She gets a needle out and syringes some liquid into my arm.

"My girl's middle name is Harper." I tell the nurse. She smiles and sticks the needle really hard into my shoulder.

I hold back the urge to scream or yelp in pain.

"Eye exam. Hold your hand over your right eye and say the middle row for me." She writes down some things on her clipboard before I start.

"B. j. L-l. U. N. A. W."

"Good job. You passed." She stamps my file and hands it to me.

I can finally go home and see my Everly before I leave tomorrow for England.