Chapter one

I woke up to the buzzing sound of my alarm. I slowly opened my eyes. For a split of second I was unaware of my surrounding .I blinked my eyes and just then everything rushed back to my mind making my heart ache as I felt a knot tightened and constricted my throat. My eyes that were already puffy stung with an unshed tears as everything that happened rushed back to my mind. It has been two weeks since I moved here to start living with Aunty Halima after I lost my mum yet I wake up everyday with an incomplete void in my heart.

I tried to block the memories away but the more I tried the more I felt it. My vision became blurry as I tried to stop the unshed tears. I know that once I started crying I won't be able to stop. Just then I remembered the last memory I had with my mother.

I winced in pain remembering how she looked. Spread on the hospital bed was my mum, tears dripping from the corner of her eyes. She looked so pale and her mouth was dried. She looked at me with sunken eyes and gave me a genuine smile.

I grabbed her hand and whispered "Ummee... ".
She interrupted me by using her other hand and wiped the tears that I didn't even realized I was shedding. Then she started talking to me her voiced was barely above whispers
"Listen to me Baby girl, My journey with you has come to an end. I am going back to my lord... Just remember with or without me you have Allah. Turn to him in your happy and sad moments. I don't want you to put your life on hold when I am gone. And remember to make Du'a for me in your prayers. Your Aunty will take good care of you when I am no more. Always remember that I am proud of you and I really love you".She then pulled me to a hug and kissed my forehead.

I summoned my courage and left the bed. I performed ablution and started Tahajjud prayer. Once I did my sujud I poured out my mind to Allah. Praying for him to take the pain away from my heart. I made Du'a for My late Ummee and read Qur'an while I wait for Fajr Prayer.

I slept a little more after Fajr prayers and woke up to help my Aunty in the kitchen.

I missed my mom so much. Whenever I look at My Aunty she reminds me of her. They so much look alike. Just that Aunty is a bit fatter than Ummee. I remembered that I used to mistaken her for my mum when I was a kid.

I met My Aunty in the kitchen. She beamed at me with her radiant smile when I entered the kitchen. She opened her mouth to probably greet me but I beat her to it.
"Good morning Aunty" .I squealed.
"Good Morning Zahra. I hope you slept well ".She answered barely looking at me.
"Alhamdulillah". I said with a soft smile .I helped her made some Pancakes.
"Zarah, please if there is anything you want don't hesitate to tell me, remember this is your new home. I will always be there for you".My Aunty said.
I casted her an appreciative smile and continued with my meal. I'm lucky to have Aunty Halima I thought inwardly.

After we finished breakfast My Aunty mentioned that her only child, Imran will be coming for his break tomorrow from college. She seemed really excited. Since I started living with Aunty he was never home. So, I really don't know what to think about him coming home.