09| HEART TO HEART

09| HEART TO HEART

[ Chapter Nine ]

❝Of course I care. I only hate you 90% of the time.❞

[Before the Events of The Force Awakens]

>> >> >>

The next morning, Adelina Solo immediately sought out Poe Dameron which was something she normally would have never done. When no one answered at the door to his living quarters, Adelina just buzzed herself in and found the pilot sitting on the ground with his back against his bed.

"Poe?" Adelina questioned even though she was clearly in his room.

The pilot raised his head and locked eyes with her, "Adelina? How in the galaxy did you get in here?"

"Um. I have a central passkey. It's for emergencies." Adelina said sheepishly, a light blush spreading on her cheeks. She knew she shouldn't have done that. Of course he would start to get the wrong idea.

"And you decided to just open the door with it?" Poe raised an eyebrow.

"I mean, you didn't answer." Adelina sighed and sat down next to him, "How're you holding up? I um-" Adelina paused and cleared her throat, "I heard about Lu'ulo."

"Yeah, um. I don't know. He's saved my life more times than I can count but this time, the thanks he got was dying." Poe shook his head.

"Hey." Adelina placed a hand on his arm, "Do not blame yourself. You hear me. If you do, it's just a downward spiral that you'll never recover from."

"Oh look. She cares." Poe cracked a smile, though it looked terribly painful.

Adelina rolled her eyes, "Of course I care. I only hate you 90% of the time. And you need someone right now. I can tell."

"God. Don't tell anyone you saw me like this. It would ruin my image." Poe told her.

Adelina laughed, "Of course not. We wouldn't want you to lose all that charm."

Poe laughed and then turned to look at her, "Hey. Would you um, speak at the funeral with me. The General asked me to speak but I'd feel better if you said something too. I mean, you've known him for almost as long and-"

Adelina cut him off, "Of course I will, Poe."

"Nara told me you didn't even want to come." Poe sniffed.

"I didn't but he was my friend and I'm doing this for him." Adelina said, "Not for anyone else."

"No. I totally get it." Poe sighed.

The two sat in silence for awhile until Adelina turned to look at him. Really looked at him. She hadn't seen him so disheveled in a long time. His hair was sticking in every direction and his eyes looked bloodshot. Adelina wasn't sure that she looked much different.

Poe turned and his eyes locked with hers. Adelina took in a deep breath right as Poe reached out his hand and brushed a piece of hair back from her forehead.

"What are you doing?" Adelina asked, taking in another breath as he placed his hand on the base of her neck before pulling her slightly toward him. Poe didn't answer as he leaned in. Adelina's eyes fluttered shut until she realized just what was going on.

Suddenly she pushed him away from her and looked away, "We can't."

Poe shook his head, "I'm sorry it's my fault, Adelina. I never should have-"

Adelina held her hand up, "I can't. I have to go." She quickly stood up, "I'll see you later."

Adelina pushed the door open, not waiting for the automatic sensor to kick in. She hurried out into the hall and leaned against the wall breathing heavily.

What just happened?

>> >> >>

Adelina hurried to Nara's room who had just returned from a shift. Nara was shifting through her closet for an outfit that would be appropriate for the funeral. She didn't want to stand out too much especially since she wasn't even going to read a speech. Not that they could really stand out with so many of their clothes being conscripted by the Resistance in boring shades of grey, brown and black. But being higher up in station gave you certain advantages such as getting to have some colored clothes.

"Nara. You will not believe what just happened." Adelina was breathing heavily as if she had just run a marathon which she had most certainly not.

Nara raised an eyebrow, "What happened to you? You're breathing heavily and you look really flushed." Nara took a step back from her friend, "Did you just have sex?"

Adelina pressed a palm to her forehead, "No. Poe um, almost kissed me."

"HE WHAT?" Nara basically screamed, "Holy sith. Tell me everything, Lina. Details please!"

"Um so I went to see how he was doing cause contrary to popular belief, I'm not a heartless bastard. And we were talking and suddenly he leaned in and-" Adelina was still breathing heavily, "Nothing happened. I stopped it because I can't let something happen when I still haven't forgiven him. And he hasn't forgiven me. I don't know what's wrong with me or with him?"

"Darling. Nothing's wrong with you. But I agree with your choice. You still have such a deep dislike for him that you should not start anything until that goes away." Nara hugged Adelina.

"Thanks Nar. So, this funeral thing. I promised that I would go. I need you to help me with a speech. I kind of got roped into it." Adelina pulled back and rolled her eyes, "Poe's reading a eulogy but he didn't want to be the only one to speak. Of course the Black Squadron will say a few things but Lu'ulo used to be a good friend and I can't just send him off without saying something."

"Alright. But it has to come from your heart. I can't write the whole thing." Nara laughed and got her tablet.

"Of course not." Adelina cracked a smile and sat down on the bed next to Nara. She would write a speech worthy of the man who had died because it was the proper send-off.

>> >> >>

Word Count: 1,008

Yay! A Saturday update! I also can't believe that my last update was only 3 days ago! 

What did you think? Did you like the Adelina and Poe moment? (Fun fact: I originally was not going to have them have a scene like that until way later but I had to) Also Nara and Adelina are BFF goals!

I love you all and will see you soon!

POSTED ON:

3. 31. 18